Bird's Nest

My husband was pulling weeds throwing them behind him. When he got up to do something, he noticed that there was a bird's nest just to the side of the weeds. It has 3 little eggs in it. I had him put it back in where the weeds were, but not sure if that's what we should do?

I think they might be robin eggs...shouldn't they be hatched by now? If not, is there more that I should do? Leave them alone? Bring in and wrap with heating pad?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 1:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's a myth that birds won't come back to the nest if they're handled by humans (most birds don't have a good sense of smell). Nevertheless, it's best to leave the nest where it is and try to limit your activity in that area. A lot of birds hatch more than one clutch in a nesting season so this could be a second clutch.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 5:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• leave them be unless you want to be the one to try to hatch them into this world. it requires an incubator and a lot of patience. the mamma bird my not be far off, I would think they should be hatched by now, but unless she was late and wanted a secluded place....don't touch them or she may not come back to them.
    Anonymous

• I'd leave them. Even if you could get them to hatch, keeping baby birds alive is very tricky.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 1:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• once you touch them the chances are the momma bird isnt gonna come back to them..so leave them alone. i know its hard cuz ya wanna help...but..youre helping by not doing anything..birds dont like humans touching their eggs or babies, or their nest...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010