How old was your kid when they learned to tell time?

Did you teach them with a clock with the hands and all that or on a digital clock?

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 4yo can read a digital clock but she doesn't understand the concept of time yet. She does know that when the big hand on the analog clock is on 10 that it's time to leave for school (when I tell her within the hour that it's time to go...she watches it for me).
    My older kids learned in 2nd grade so around 7 years old. My almost 10yo still has trouble with it (I did, too, at her age). My son is 8 1/2 and is a whiz at telling time. He picked it up really fast and easily. My 7yo (just finished 1st) knows the basics...hours and half hours but that's it. She can read a digital, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• both! Digital at age 4 and regular at agr 6!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Age 5 for digital, age 6 for analog. We used a play clock with moveable hands, and I taught them how to "interpret" digital to analog, and vice versa.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I was wondering because I've seen a few kids around Kiwi's age that could tell time and was curious what the usual age is. Thanks for the answers.
    She can recognize the numbers, but every time, she says "it's 10:30" regardless of what either clock says. Not sure if she's just playing or can't get it, but at least I see I still have some time to work on it.
    Thanks!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2010