Can I get a few more tips to make this whole quitting smoking thing go a little better?

So, DH and I have picked our quit date. It's Tuesday. We are taking the $100 we would have spent on cigarettes and giving $30 to him, $30 to me for us to spend however we want and the other $40 is going in a glass jar (all in ones to make it seem like we're saving more!). Monday night before going to bed, we're going to smoke the last one and Febreeze the house and car to get the smell off the furniture and curtains, we're putting the ashtrays under the sink out of sight, we are leaving a pack out. Figure that way it's not "I can't smoke 'cause there are none" and more of "There are cigarettes, but I'm not smoking because I choose not to".
We're trying cold turkey.
Any suggestions on what I can get with $30 that will seem like a good trade for something I've been dependent on for almost 9 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Health

• Use the $30 for duct tape for your mouths because both of you are bound to be really grouchy for a couple weeks. LOL I found that just staying really busy helped me a lot. I didn't sit down for weeks. I quit years ago and I'm still proud of myself for doing it!Good Luck!!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• one of the things that helped me quit smoking was not having the out-of-habit cigarettes (right after a meal, in the car after work, last one before bed). also, rather than focusing on talking myself out of a cigarette which still means energy spent on the subject of smoking, i would just move on to something else - do the dishes, do a puzzle. as for spending your money - what is something you've been wanting to buy or do that you just couldn't afford? for me it's stuff like a trip to the wildlife preserve that it seems ridiculous to spend so much money on - but less ridiculous than spending it on killing myself. or a fabulous meal that you will be able to really taste and enjoy so much better once you quit smoking. something that you didn't buy because you didn't want it ruined from smoke. treats for your pet. crazy eBay treasure.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• outta sight, outta mind!! what about trying something like, every time you want one, or think you want one, instead of having one, do something you dont like doing..like for me, it was pushups, i cant stand doing pushups!! so everytime i wanted a smoke, i would go and do 25 pushups..it sure made me not want one after a while of doing that..
    Anonymous

• I used the Nicoderm patch (actually it was the cheaper version) BUT it worked! I had no cravings whatsoever. The only thing that was hard was the habit of doing it, but definitely not the cravings.
    Anonymous

• its alos about having something in your mouth so use licorish or pretzels to help the urge my mom quit cold turkey and hasnt has a smoke in 15 years and she smoked from when she was 14 to 36
    Anonymous