this is more of a vent...grrr teenagers!!

So my daughter who is almost 14 half a$$e$ everything and tries lying and saying she did it..I am trying to teach her responsibility so when she grows has a family of her own she'll know what she's supposed to do..i recently taught her to do the laundry she knows how she's just careless..so last nite before it got dark I asked her is there anything in the washer that will sour? her answer no mom I swear I go out this morning to put some stuff in guess what??? soured jeans...(rolling eyes) I woke her around 11 today and her room has the worst stench it made me almost throw up!! HOW on earth do you get ur teenage daughter to clean and clean like she cares not just half a$$ everything to death so mom has to redo it all???

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When you find out, let me know:) I have a 17 yr old daughter that half A$$E$ everything too. We keep on her all the time about responsibilities, chores and so on and she still could care less.

Anonymous

• don't redo it for starters. you might try telling her that you will need to follow her to check on her laundry or observe as she cleans her room, etc. to make sure she knows how to do it properly. don't let her go somewhere she wants to go until she takes care of the stench. sounds like she must not be a girly girl, but she might actually care more if you treat her to a spa day or mani/pedi or haircut or shopping trip or a ride to a teenage event - something that will help her feel good about her appearance and/or want to take a little more care. i'm not at all a primper - i never wear makeup, but i feel better with a clean body and clothes, etc. but mainly it sounds like she wants her space - if you threaten the following and follow through on it you might be surprised how quickly she does a better job.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I hate to say this but a small allowance may help her learn responsibility since she will be getting paid for doing something well. It doesn't have to be a whole lot either but it will act as an incentive. Just a suggestion, tho.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• OMG how do these young girls expect to learn to be good parents??? my sister was like this and she's the worst housekeeper in the world is on her 2nd marriage and idk what relationship but every guy she's been with has dumped her for not being a good housekeeper which in turn makes her a bad mom and irresponsible..like the other day instead of going to walmart accross the street for dishsoap she let the dishes go all day w/o being done I personally couldn't stand that!!! bluck gross!!! OP
    Anonymous

• First off stop re-doing anything she does. Make her keep doing the same thing until she gets it right. Make her do her laundry only and if her jeans sour then let her wear them that way. Since she can't keep her room clean, clear it out down to the very basics: clothes, dresser and bed. Every thing else gets boxed and put up until she can keep it clean. I've heard of some parents taking the door off the bedroom. Take away stuff she enjoys (ie. cell phone, radio, video game) make her earn them back.

Anonymous

• OP here cafe mochamom1 she does get an allowance she still don't care...and as for figaro why would I reward her for not doing a good job?? I could see maybe if she did it and did a good job she could get her nails done or something as a reward:)
    Anonymous

• Beat her, chastise her, humiliate her... oh wait, that's what I do to my DH. LOL I am a total perfectionist and I expect every job to be done with pride. I've found that doing the job with her over and over again until she gets it right works for me. i also remind her constantly of how wonderful she is and how I expect great things from her. She knows half a$$ed isn't going to work, she can do it right and bask in my praise or she can spend the entire evening doing it over until it's done right. Teenagers are half crazy and half lazy. Eventually she figured it out.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• SOUR jeans? WHaaaat? Explain,please. LOL.
    You have to be the boss with kids...don't give in.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand.........maybe because at some point your daughter realized that living with you she had a CHOICE to do or not to do what you ask of her.
    People do what works for them........regardless of age. Your daughter is doing what works for her and because she CAN.
    Make a decision today as to whether or not she will have a Choice or be Able to continue to do what she is doing.
    This attitude works for animals, children, husbands, friends, extended family and neighbors.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Lighten up she's not getting married this week. She's a kid. She didn't learn to walk in a day so don't expect her to take on domestic chores like a champ. There is more to being an adult woman than doing laundry and cleaning her room.
    Anonymous