pumping at work

my ds is 11 weeks old and i start back to work next week. he is exclusively breastfed and i'm planning on pumping, but what do i do if there is no where in my work place to pump (other than the bathroom...gross) i'll be getting a ride to and from work so i can't pump in the car. any suggestions?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you said you work in a mall. My best friend also works in a mall but her store doesn't really have anywhere to pump so she just goes down to one of the department stores and uses a dressing room. Also, don't most malls have a family restroom? You could use that as well.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I always used my car, maybe you could ask to use your friends car and bring a blanket to cover? Or maybe if you're close with someone who has their own office you could ask to use for a quick minute.
    Always bring something to cover up with, just incase you are stuck and don't have many options, that way you'll be covered regardless of where you are.
    Vegetarianmama

Answer by Vegetarianmama at 2:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think by law you're supposed to be given somewhere to pump that isn't a bathroom. So ask your boss if there is an empty office or a storage room or something you can use.
    Anonymous

• i work at the mall, so we only have one back room, and that is where we edit and prepare our photos for the customers. then we have the camera rooms, but they're normally all booked, exspecially on the weekends or around holidays (like father's day)
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• By law you have ot have somewhere to pump besides a bathroom. IT's the law, but pushing it might cause some problems. Is there like a big private employee bathroom you can use. Not a nasty stall?
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Speak to HR. By LAW your employer is REQUIRED in ANY state to provide you with a quiet/private place that is not a bathroom in which to pump. They are also REQUIRED to allow you a 15-20 minute break every 2-3 hours to pump(or reasonable break time- what I listed is what ie recommended for optimal supply and comfort). Print this out and take it in when you talk to them: http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Workplace/WorkplaceSupport/WorkplaceSupportinHealthCareReform/tabid/175/Default.aspx

This law took effect immediately.  There is a section you can look at the exact text, print off various things, etc.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• First you should have been discussing this with your employer a long time ago while you were pregnant so they could have a reasonable amount of time to come up with some way to accommodate you per the law. Second as others have stated they have to provide you with some place other then a bathroom to pump and at minimum the breaks stated by the law for pumping too. I would get copies of the laws and politely talk with your boss and see what happens. It may take a few weeks for them to figure out a schedule and what not, but they do have to provide you with something.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010