How do I stop biting my nails?

I have been biting my nails since I was about 2. My mom has shown me the picture to prove it. I'm almost 27 now. I have tried several times to stop, but I just start all over. There is hardly nothing there, two fingers don't even have nails (did you know that the if you loosen the nail on the finger top, then pull gently with tweezers, it comes right out and goes to about the first knuckle? I do now)
Some things I have tried include:
Band Aids on each finger to cover them, but I can't do anything with them on.
The bitter tasting polish and dipping my fingertips in nail polish remover which tastes horrible, but neither worked, I just bit through the taste.
Painting them, hoping that I wouldn't bite them and keep them pretty, didn't work.
Putting rubber bands on my wrists and popping them when I caught myself biting, also slapping my hand. Neither worked.
What else is there? I really don't want to be 60 spitting out nail bits.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How about wearing thin gloves or non-latex/non-powder gloves during the times when you are most apt to start chewing on them?

When we had a difficult time breaking my middle child of sucking her thumb, I came up with the idea of putting a sock on her hand for bedtime, after speaking with her about it first, of course. She took it off the first couple of nights, but then tried really hard to keep it on and was done sucking her thumb for good after a week!

Hope something helps you soon.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Try wearing the artificial nails for a month or two. Helped my sister who also has a bad nail-biting habit.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I have yet to stop biting mine, too. I've been doing better, but any time I get stressed out, I find my nails are goners. Right now, my nails are the longest they've been in forever. Try getting fake nails or acrylics put on them. There's a bit of upkeep to go with it, but you can't really bite through them.
    Anonymous

• Forgot to add that you don't have to pay the ridiculous salon fees ... you can get full cover nails at Walmart for less than $10. The ones I wear are about $6 ... Broadway or Kiss.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• (OP)
    There's not enough for fake nails! I tried, apparently, you need actual nail to attach it to, not just bumpy skin. :(
    I've went about two months with out biting before, then was reading a really good murder mystery book, went to put it down and realized they were all bitten off again. :(
    Anonymous

• http://www.amazon.com/Mavala-Stop-Nail-Biting-Sucking-Prevention/dp/B0000YUXI0

Sally Beauty Supply probably sells something similar.

Anonymous

• Well, the amazon link isn't working.

I went to Sally's website and came across this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/no-bite/SBS-654518,default,pd.html

Anonymous

• Well.........................there may be a way, but it is drastic and I'm not even sure if you can do it.  It really worked for me though, and I've had long nails for 25 years now.

Get your jaw wired shut (if a doctor will do it).  I had an accident and broke mine.  I had to have it wired shut for 6 weeks and I've never bitten them again. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Try tabasco sauce and everytime you want to chew them dip your fingers in that. I hate anything spicy and that's how I stopped, if you like spicy things, then I got nothing else. Sorry and I hope you find your answer....
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2010