What causes swollen eyes?

My son, who is 3, woke up with swollen eyes. He has no eye goop, and they're just a tiny bit pink. He was rubbing them earlier, but not anymore. I gave him Zyrtec, thinking it was allergies, but nothing changed. So then I gave him Benadryl, which is what his doctor told me to do when his allergies get bad, and that didn't help a lot, but it did a little.

Do you think the meds just aren't working and it's allergies, or is there something else that causes this? His eyes have never been this swollen before, usually his allergies manifest in runny nose and coughing.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Benadryl usually takes a short while to take affect and it's not especially good with all allergies. I would say using some kind of eye drop but I would check to see which are good to use on small children first.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Now that you mention eye drops, I remember my now 16 year old brother having to use them when he was my son's age. His eyes would swell shut from allergies. My son has his check up next week, hopefully it can wait till then and I'll ask the dr about drops. Thank you!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My son is 2 and gets swollen eyes. It's his alergies. Usually benadryl and a nap clears it up.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• He could have Pink Eye or it could be a cold in his eyes or allergies. Take her to a doctor and find out. Pink Eye is VERY contagious.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree Pink Eye is a possibility, eventually you will see drainage and it will feel like there is sand in the eye. Very contagious I would call the doctor.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It was not pink eye. There was absolutely NO gunk in the eye. The next morning he woke up and his eyes were fine. His check up is today, so I'll ask the dr about it then.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010