What to do?

My daughter is 2.5 and this year she is really into playing in the above ground pool. I have been teaching her how to swim, and she can actually get from one side of the pool to the other now, but she completely freaks out and starts going under when she realizes Im not holding onto her anymore. What could I use in the pool that will keep her above water in these cases? We tried a swimming vest thing, but it doesnt actually keep her floating? And a round tube doesnt work because she likes to move her arms and the tube keeps her restricted. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you treid those water wings thingys?
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Arm floaties

You should sign her up for swimming lessons!
    Anonymous

• Arm floaties/water wings work great. And I've seen kids swim with the little foam long things. Not sure if that's what you're talking about when you say tube. Do you mean the long foam tubey things or the circle floats?

They also make swim suits w/built in float that work on some kids.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Sorry didnt mean to go anon. I used the round tube. I think maybe that keeps her floating too well, if that makes sense? because when I use that she cant get her arms in the water enough to paddle, and she doesnt like that. I think maybe I will try the water wings.We'll see how they work.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I would use the swim suits with the built in floats but you will have to try different brands because some don't work.
    They are what tought me how to swim.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• definitely arm floaties! Cheap & effective. The swimming lessons may help her freak out less, but no guarantee there. Arm floaties is my suggestion. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2010