How weird is this? Florida Attorney Barred From Jail Over Bra, Then for Taking Bra Off

Attorney Brittney Horstman attempted to visit a client held at the Miami Federal Detention Center, but security guards would not allow her to enter because the metal in her underwire bra set off the facility’s metal detectors. An internal Detention Center memo makes an exception for underwire bras, but guards still refused Horstman entry.

Horstman removed the bra in a bathroom and passed the metal detectors, but was then told that going braless was a violation of prison dress code guidelines, which also forbid women from wearing low-cut blouses or dresses, leotards, sundresses or “any type of garment that is see-through . . . or clothing that is tight and sexually suggestive or revealing.” The dress code requires that women wear bras but does not forbid underwire bras.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 3:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anon5:11 - I was visiting my SO's cousin at 8mos preg in June in FL and they made me wear a jacket because my maternity top was sleeveless; not spaghetti straps; but sleeveless...forget on other visits prior and after there were non-pregnant women allowed in wearing actual spaghetti strap tank tops. The 'dress code' was no tank tops. Yet I was singled out - why? The guard had an issue that day.

However ALL my bras have some form of under'wire' support and I've never set off a metal detector at that facility or an airport in my life...???

The guards aren't mis-informed; they're just subjective with their application of the rules; depending on their mood; your attitude; & yes even the way the wind is blowing (lol) - is it right? No; could she have demanded to see a higher authority and continue up and get the matter resolved more than likely. But most of us 'regular' people just take what they say and go with it.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• that's stupid.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• eye rollingoh, geez. Whaddothey WANT??

MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Sounds to me like the guards were just looking for reason not to let her in. I wonder why.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree with mrsbean08. However she shouldn't have removed her bra, she should have asked to see where metal bras are prohibited and the rules and regulations from there. I'm sort of glad she's not my attorney.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• lol good point, hazel!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Isn't this the weirdest story? The article says this is an isolated incident, but it does look like the guards were harrassing her.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• They were harassing her. MANY women don't wear a bra. If she couldn't get through the metal detectors with the bra on, what the heck is wrong with taking it off? Are they a bunch of Puritans at that jail? Stupid! That was harassment. But then, you don't have to be real smart to be a prison cop. If you can write your name,you can get a job.
    Anonymous

• LMAO! My husband is a CO and they just had an issue like this of women taking their bras off and leaving them hanging in the public restroom before the detectors. You can't go braless in a prison, LMAO! They should have made an exception for her considering she was an attorney but for others, wear a sports bra, who are you trying to "impress?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2010