what is your favorite breed of dog and why?

and if you have a mutt thats your favorite what are they mixed with?

jennifer588

Asked by jennifer588 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pets

• I would like to add the "why" - the first time I let the kids around Gideon was the first time I saw him wag his tail. I saw the love. He is excellent, even protective of "his kids". For the last 7 months, he's slept under Ben's swing or crib (that is my 14 mo old) and alerted us if he even snored. They are awesome home protectors too... the first time I came home late from work (at 1am, I worked in a bar) and everyone was asleep, Gideon woke everyone in the house up trying to keep me from coming in the door until I spoke to him. So maybe it's not just the breed (although I see a lot of misunderstood pits, and mistreated ones, my heart goes out to all of them) but Gideon in particular.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Great Dane is my favorite. I've always wanted one. When we get our "forever" house w/the nice backyard and all that good stuff, my husband wants a huge pool, I'll be happy with a great dane that will be named Scooby.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• boxer... i LOVE them! lol. used to have one... my parents brought him home when i was 8 years old... my mom kept telling us she was allergic to dogs, so we didn't see it coming. HA! he was so loyal and smart. adventurous and protective. he moved to africa with us, and he protected me several times from those "phantom bad guys". lol. we had guards... he didn't trust them.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I love my American Bulldog!! A great big protector, and very loyal.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• No bashing, please... I am in love with pits. I love the rottie equally... but there's something about the way Gideon looks at me when I scratch behind what would be his ears... (He's one of our rescues, and he's OURS, we're not placing him. DH got him at 3 mos and he was used as a bait dog and the "owners" had done a battlecrop on his ears at home, they're lopsided). Then there's Trixi - she was starved when we got her 2 mos ago, and now she thinks she's a lapdog. Still timid, but we're making progress. Ah, I love all of them... even the shitzu, the mutt (serious heinz 57), the boxer, the rottie and the baby pit we just got...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I had a border collie growing up. I loved her. She was my best friend when I really needed one. We got her when she was 2 and a half months old when we got her. She lived 17 years or more. I want another one. She was protective and loving. The best dog I ever had.And I miss her too. I was a young adult when she passed away.
    babygirl66610

Answer by babygirl66610 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Bichon Frise-they are hypoallergenic and are great little dogs!
    Anonymous

• Shih Tzu's, definitely. My parents got one about 8 years ago, and I fell instantly in love. I've since gotten my own, and she's wonderful! Not only do I think they're the cutest (when the hair is cut shorter), but they have such strong personalities. She's like a little person and incredibly smart. However, they do tend to be a bit aggressive. I think she thinks she's the size of a Great Dane or something, lol. She makes big dogs cower, and she's the best watchdog I've ever had...but she's a total sweetheart, really. I don't have any other dogs, but the next dog we get, I want a really big one. Either a Saint Bernard, Great Dane, German Shepherd...something like that. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I also want to add...Shih Tzu's don't shed! I have yet to find any of her hair on anything. The downside is that they need groomed regularly, but nothing major.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Pembroke Welsh Corgi's. They are little big dogs. Not froo froo's and not to big to let in the house. I love my pair :)
    tnwellnessmom

Answer by tnwellnessmom at 6:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010