I have PPD really bad and I've been given a wonderful offer...but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is...what would you do?

I am 17 years old and I have a 6 month old son.

The father and I have split after a lot of drama and immaturity on both our parts.

From the moment my son was born...I knew I had issues. I did not want to hold him...did not feel maternal. I ended up slipping into Postpartum Psychosis and had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks.

I still have PPD but it's a little more under control. I still have not been able to bond with my son the way I should and I don't feel interested in him. He's not as happy with me as he is with my parents. I just finished high school (youngest in my graduating class) and my parents have offered to watch my son and let me go away to college. I would see him weekends and breaks. My family seems to think that time away may help me get over my PPD and when I will be home it will be special bonding time for us and I can make something of myself in college.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• goodI think it's a great opportunity and I'd take it. You are not abandoning him. You are providing for his future through a good education.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• follow your heart. go to college and make something of yourself either way!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree, follow your heart....but do a little more research and I would go to therapy and councilling before you make a decision. Sometimes, if your not around your child you never bond with them like you should. So please weigh all options and be informed before you make a decision.
    Anonymous

• I think you are a very smart young woman first off! Second do it honey! You will see him and he will know you are mommy but you wil be able to do somethings you would not be able to do with him on your hip and more importantly you will be getting an education that will carry you and HIM through the rest of your lives! He will be able to say my mommy had me, was the youngest to graduate high school in her class and then went to college and I had great bonding time with my grandparents! I think it would be great for everyone and you will be happy with it! PLease if you need to PM me ok?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• go to school and leave your baby with people who will give him the love and affection he deserves-until you yourself can.good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I had my son 9 days before I walked the stage in high school... I married his father and then left him a year later... so I was a single mom at 19. When my son was about 2, I needed to work a LOT to save enough to get us on our feet - so my parents watched him during the week (I had a job out of town) and I saw him on weekends. This lasted about 6 months, and I have to say... it was the hardest thing I had to do. I regret missing out on that time with him, but I know it was for the best, and sometimes (looking back) I wonder if his emotional/attachment issues are my fault or if we would've seen the signs of his delays if I'd have been there. I say, spend what time you CAN with him and do what is best for BOTH of you. If that means going to school (please, don't forget about your child!) then do it. If you dont go to school, then you'll wonder for the rest of your life if things could've been better. I wish you luck!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I would say go for it. You may never get this chance again!! your parents are so wonderful to do this for you!! I also agree to go to counciling!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You are very lucky to have such great parents that are there for you and are willing to help you out. Don't sit on this. GO you will only better yourself for you, your son and your future. Good Luck to you!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree with the others! You are very intelligent for considering the possibility, and you are also very lucky to be placed in this position of having options. Follow your heart, like the others say. As you grow, and as your child does, your bond will become stronger. Don't worry. Talk to those around you and develop a good support system. You are more likely to look back and wish that you had made the choice for college, than you are to go and wish you hadn't.
    Anonymous

• i think you should go to college. he will be well taken care of. that way you don't have to make him or yourself unhappy. when you get finished with college you will have a degree and you can raise him knowing you're a good mom with a good career.
    Anonymous