Is it selfish to have another baby even though it will be born early?

Part of me wants another baby but I've already had two pregnancies end early, 35 weeks and 28 weeks and those dates were after weeks of trying to keep me pregnant longer. I know I will never carry to term but I keep thinking that I got to 35 weeks once so I could do it again.

BTW-The pregnancy that ended at 28 weeks was with twins so if I could get pregnant with only one baby my chances of carrying closer to term increase.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• chances are you won't have another set of twins. I would pray about it, to whoever your God is.
    Anonymous

• Talk with your doctor. He/she'd be better suited to help you make this decision.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• is it selfish-well honestly yes? does that make it bad? I dont know mama, that depends o n what type of health issues your kids will have to go thru. if born early and have no ill effects, thats one thing. But if your babies come early AND have alot of health issues due to that...then def weigh that out with your doc. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Both my kids were born at 35 weeks and I'm having more. They can do things to help develop the lungs if they think you'll deliver early. Plus I agree chances are you won't get pregnant with twins again. But talk to your doctor and weigh the risks.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Actually if you get pregnant with twins once chances are INCREASED that you will have them again!! And the older you are the higher the risk.

It is all on how well you can handle the medical problems and expenses that come with having children early....and NOT having them on PA.
    Anonymous

• actually...having twins is based off genetics... if they were identical, that is not genetic...i've got ident. boys... got preg 8 months later and had a singleton.....fraternal twins is the genetic form...also twins are 1/200 pregnancies...the odds of twins again are even slimmer than that.
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 6:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• How many kids do you need? I wouldn't dream of starting my child out in life with a disadvantage. Life is hard enough. Get a dog, please!
    Anonymous

• Mavoreen - actually it's the identical twins that are genetic. Fraternal twins are due to the woman ovulating and releasing more than one egg.
    Anonymous

• Mavoreen is right. If your mother or grandmother had fraternal twins your risk is greater. It passes from mom to daughter. Identical twins are a "random" occurrence. Nothing increases or decreases your chances of that happening.

OP, you need to talk to your doctor. For me, making it to 35 weeks would be fine. So if the doctor thought that I could carry until 35 weeks, I'd have one.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• "OK, so what does this have to do with genetics? Fraternal twins result from two ovulations, while identical twins result from the splitting of one embryo into two. Ovulation is a normal process that involves many genes. Embryo splitting, on the other hand, appears to occur randomly by chance. In other words, your genes can affect whether you have fraternal twins because genes are involved in the process. Identical twins are random and so genes don't have much influence at all."

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=86

This is backing up what i already knew...the above quote is taken directly off that page.
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 11:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010