Do they HAVE to break your water??

Is there medical reasons why if your water does not break on its own, then the doctor should break it? I know it speeds up labor (I think), but other than that, does it have to be done? I've heard of babies being born en-caul(sp?) so I was just wondering why doctors break the water themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they have to, the baby is inside of it so thats the only way to get them out.
    Anonymous

• No they don't have to and the only reason they do it is to try to speed up labor. I don't really think it helps, either. My water broke on its own with my first and my labor didn't speed up. I had it broken with my second and it may have gone a teeny bit faster, but not much. The only thing that made my labors speed up was getting an epidural.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle: You are totally opposite than me! lol! I had my water broken by the doc with my first, and my labor progressed RAPIDLY. I went from 3 cm to 6cm in about an hour and a half! Then when I got my epi, it slowed down tremendously. Took me about 3 hours to progress from 6cm to 10!!
    Anonymous

• They do it because they're impatient and want to manage your labor so it's convenient for them.
    Anonymous

• Oops. Edited. Anon:24 I seem to be opposite everyone. People always say epidurals slow them. Mine make my labors speed up immediately. After about 36 hours of labor with my first, I was only at 4 cm. I got my epi and was fully dilated and pushing 4 hours later. With my second, I was stuck again at 4 cm after 35 hours, got my epi, and was holding my baby in an hour!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• No the do not have too. It is better to wait till it breaks on its own. It does not speed up labor. They just say that. It is actually better for your cervix. It helps it stretch and contractions are easier. They get harder when you it breaks. Some women will actually deliver baby in the sac. You really should wait till it is ready to break on it's own.

Anonymous

• Think back hundreds, thousands of years.....no doctor/midwife was sitting around rupturing membranes (breaking the bag of water) for millions/bilions of women. No, it does not "have" to be done. But as you can see from the answers, there is a lot of controversy about whether it "helps" or not.
    Anonymous

• so do I have a say-so in whether or not they break it for me??
    Anonymous

• You always always have a say in anything that is done to your body.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You have every right to say "No" it is your body and can not make you do anything you want to. When I had my second adn was not progressing. They wanted to break my water. I told them no. I had to keep saying it. But 2 hours later it broke on its own. It still do not progress my labor at all. Just like my first I stayed the same for 6 hr and then all the sudden I was fully dilated.
    Anonymous