How hard it is to adopt from foster care from another state?

I was just curious in knowing the timeframe if anyone has adopted from another state through foster care. Also are there children under the age of five.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• I know it can be done state to state but I also know the agency that handled our foster/adoption looks down on doing it. They will do it if there is family involved or something, but there is a lot of red tape. I don't know that you can give any foster/adopt situations a timeline. Both of ours they told us would be final within 3 months. One took 3 years, and the other fell through completely and we had to give the child back after one year. It really depends on how backed up the courts, making sure everyone shows up to court, and if the biological parents are fighting the tpr. Sometimes the biological parents drag it out just because they can.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 6:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I am not wanting to foster but only to adopt. I see so many children awaiting to be adopted from other states on the internet. I have seen post where some hopeful adoptive parents say the wait to adopt through foster care is years, while other post say it is not that long of time.
    Anonymous

• well i can tell you from personal experience its a LONG AND LENGTHY process! i was in n outta foster care from the time i was about 3...well 7 technically...authorities placed me with other family members at 3 and then at 7 threw me into the full on foster care system. lived with the "Bob" family for about a year, they got transferred from wash to cali when i was 8. i was then placed with the "joe" family til i was 10. got a phone call one afternoon while living with the joe family that the bob family wanted to adopt me...bout a month later i was on a plane headed to cali. took the bob family THREE years to finalize the adoption. lots of phonecalls and interviews...they not only had to deal with the states of wash and cali, because the bob father was previously married to two other women before marryin the bob mom, they had to deal with those states too...sorry if that was confusing!
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 7:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• That is just sad. I don't understand why it takes so long.They seem to claim there are so many children awaiting to be adopted, yet it takes so long for someone to adopt them.
    Anonymous

• When I say foster/adopt it IS for adoption only. The reason is because they do not do the termination of parental rights in court until they know they have a home placement for the child. And because it could take months you are really technically the child's foster parent until the adoption is final. My home was never a "foster home" for temporary placements. It was an adoption resource home for the intention of adoption only. The system is different from state to state so find out how your state handles it.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Let's put it this way: about six hundred people are struck by lightening each year. Abot seven children in any given year are adopted in foster care across state lines that are non kinship adoptions. For me, that says it all.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I can tell you from personal experience... We have been trying for a year now, we have gotten very close a couple of times... But for each child under 7, you have 50-150 families inquiring on each one!!! Those ''poor foster children'' under the age of 7 is not out there, they are being fought over! It has been the most painful year of our lives, but it looks like it might be coming to an end as we are possibly matched with a child under 5 with severe medical needs... Are you open to special needs???

If we had it to do over again, we would have become foster parents and adopted that way, adopting straight from foster care can be just as painful!!! If this one goes through, she will be worth everything we went through!!
    Anonymous

• We started out doing foster and were placed w/ a baby straight from the hospital. He bonded w/ us and I was deep in love w/ him. He was adoptable, but only w/ his 1 year old sister (both drug exposed). No problem! Long story short, right before she was to be placed w/ us, we got him yanked away. Oh, and decertified (gotta just love private agencies!!) No, not for any fault of ours either! It devastated my family and it still breaks my heart! Decided to go thru the county...they beg people to do this, for they have so many children who need homes, permanent adoptive homes! They make it nearly impossible for all they require! And then the process once the home passes, is very lengthy. We are slowly thinking about just doing straight foster thru another foster agency. But, am I ready for another possible heartache? I'm willing to take in children needing a loving home for certain time periods, but will I get my hopes
    KellyReedy

Answer by KellyReedy at 8:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Right now we are in the process of adopting a child from another state. The 7 yr old girl we adopting stayed in foster care for 1yr and 3mo. We knew about her from the start and wanted her here from day 1!!!! (We personally know the birth family). They kept saying they were going to send her here aftercourt date # x, y, & z......Finally they decided that even though bio-mother wasn't doing a thing to get her back, that they were still going to wait until termination of parental rights before moving her again (which while it was really annoying, we understood). Finally they did move her here (after months of paperwork, becoming licensed foster parents, and a lot of waiting and a lot of getting our hopes up, then let back down). She is still considered foster care till mid-August when we can legally adopt her. I know that in our case the lawyer cost lay mostly on us, whereas if it were the same state they would take care (cont.)
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 1:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• (cont.) of 100% of all of that! I say all of this to also say that no matter how aggrivating it seems while going through it, I know for us it has been the biggest blessing ever!!!! We can't even remember how our day to day lives where just 5 months ago before she was here!!!! NOW, it doesn't seem like they asked very much of us!!!!! And if you do it, it will be like that for you too!!!! You'll think you should've been required to do more!! I know we do! Good luck in whatever you choose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 1:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010