my 9 month olds dont seem to want to pick up food and eat it

my question is; is picking up food and putting it in their mouth sort of an instinct orrr do they need to learn it?

when I put food on their highchair trays they just swipe at it with their hands and spread it around haha.

I got the gerber puffs today and Taden tried to pick up a piece and put it in his mouth a few times but my other twin, Tyler, doesn't seem to car e, which is weird because they always have something in their mouth so... and he loves to eat sooo. i put some in their mouths for them and tried to show them by putting it in their hand and putting their hand to their mouth

does it take a lot of instruction like that ooor

tips, advice, comments, concerns etc... thanks :D

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They will do it when they are ready, you don't need to teach them. Just keep doing what you are doing, putting a few things on their trays a couple of times a day and letting them explore. You can pick up a piece and feed it to them by hand, to help give them the idea. My DD took a while before she would feed herself much and was 10 months before she did much at all.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Try real food. Gerber puffs are no better than sugar cereal. It really is puffed refined rice and sugar sprayed with some vitamins to make it look good to consumers. It is not nearly as interesting as say, broccoli or butternut squash. Babies like texture and color and substance.

Babies do like to smoosh and play with food. That's normal. Food before one is for fun and exploration. They don
    t really digest solids too well so don't worry if they don't get much in them. Continue to provide the opportunities and just watch and have fun.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2010