How much rice cereal do I give my baby?

My son is now 4 months old and last night we gave him rice cereal for the first time. We gave him 1 tablespoon of the cereal and 1 oz of formula. He loved it but he still seemed hungry afterwards and we weren't sure if we should give him a bottle or not. I didn't want him to get a tummy ache but he cried and cried so I ended up giving him a couple more ounces of formula. I know I am only supposed to give him one tablespoon at the beginning but how much formula should I put in with it? And is it okay to give him some more formula afterwards? We are only doing this before bedtime just to start off with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you give him formula beforehand? If not, you should in the future. Solids ALWAYS follow breast or bottle in the first year. As to how much formula to use to mix it, just eyeball it, to the consistency that you desire.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• with my sons i gave them about 2 table spoons with a lil scoop of formula and added jucie cuz the cereal and formula cause constipation and he had a botlle of formula with it
    Anonymous

• You don't have to do cereal at all. Try green veggies. His formula should account for 99.9% of his nutrition now.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• make shure when you start out the consictancy is like a lil more runny then apple sauce
    Anonymous

• Yes, give him formula after if you think he is hungry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Did you give him a bottle of formula (or breastfeed) him BEFORE giving the cereal? You should always offer bottle or breast first, and then after a full bottle, you give the cereal. If after that he is still acting hungry, by all means give him another bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• None.

Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010