Introducing solid foods as early as 4 months may increase a baby's risk for allergies and/or obesity. Do you agree with this statement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All of the research I have read suggests that this is true, and I believe it. I figure, there is possible harm in starting solids early, and no harm in waiting, so why not just wait until baby is a little older?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• A lot of things MAY increase a risk, but it doesn't mean it will. So yes, I guess I agree with it.
    Anonymous

• I agree
    Anonymous

• No, I do not agree.

Answer by louise2 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• allergies,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yes. Just like with forward facing/rear facing issue, 4 months is the MINIMUM age to start, although, I believe it is better to wait later.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends exclusive breast-feeding of infants for at least the first 6 months of life. This is followed by the gradual introduction of solid foods from age 6-12 months, as well as continued breast-feeding for 12 months or longer.
    Studies show that the introduction of solid foods before 4 months of age increases the risk of atopic dermatitis until the age of 10 years. In addition, the use of cow’s milk-based formulas in early infancy has been associated with the development of cow’s milk allergy.
    In addition, one study showed that when solid foods were given to infants less than 8 weeks of age, there was a higher risk of coughing and breathing problems at 3 to 6 months of age.

Another study that delayed the introduction of solid foods in infants until after 6 months of exclusive breast-feeding showed lower risks of atopic dermatitis and asthma later in childhood. However, it is
    Anonymous

• Another study that delayed the introduction of solid foods in infants until after 6 months of exclusive breast-feeding showed lower risks of atopic dermatitis and asthma later in childhood. However, it is not clear in other studies whether this represents prevention of the onset of allergic disease (including to foods) or just a delay in the onset of disease.
    Anonymous