Do overweight people really have a right to bash smokers...and vice versa?

Both are bad for your health, so how can they bash each other? I've encountered this recently, not personally, but from a friend's situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am overweight and smoke. I don't think it's right for anyone to "bash" anyone for it. For one it is very hard to stop smoking and can take a lot of money (which we don't have) and that doesn't always work. As for being overweight I can't help that either. I have changed my diet completely to more healthier things and cut out all junk food and soda and I lose a total of maybe a pound a month which seems to come back soon after. My weight has stayed the same for the last 2 yrs so I'm not very worried about it, but I am and have been trying to lose weight because I do have health issued due to it. If there are medical reasons why people should quit smoking or lose weight they need support to help them, but they don't need to be "bashed" for it......
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Ummm,our fat isn't getting into you and Making YOU fat! You smoke by me,I can get sick!
    Anonymous

• Ok, well what if I'm only smoking in the privacy of my own home? What then?
    Anonymous

• No one has the right to "bash" anyone regardless of what they do. It's just rude.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree with Kiwismommy. People who aren't smokers have no idea how hard it is for some people to quit. It's not like smokers don't realize it's bad for their health. I was lucky to quit the second I found out I was pregnant and not start again, but I know it's not that easy for some. I HATE when people who aren't close to a smoker lecture them about smoking. it's one thing if it's a genuine concern for their health, but if they're lecturing without care, they need to mind their own business. As for overweight people, not everyone can help their weight either. Yes, some can, but it's not really anyone's business why or how they got overweight(unless, once again, it's someone close to them that they're worried about). Therefore, smokers and overweight people shouldn't bash each other, but neither should someone who is a skinny, non-smoker bash either of the two.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If i'm fat, then i'm fat...my fat doesn't go onto your thighs if i'm close to you...lol If I smoke, then my smoke goes into your lungs and makes your clothes smell if i'm close to you.....
    I don't bash people for smoking, but i'd like it if you didn't smoke where I HAVE TO walk. Like at the entrances to establishments....I hate that!
    Anonymous

• Your body is a temple and you should treat it as such. Sure there are things that peope do that are bad for them. People get onto me for going to the tanning bed. I really don't think anyone has a right to bash anyone for their bad habits; however, loving concern for someone's health is not a bad thing. If you don't like what someone does, then it's ok to tell them that you are concerned about their health. I also think that smokers should be considerate and not smoke around people or have bad allergies or get sick from it. "bashing" is never good. Expressing concern is constructive and just so all of you know...Yes! I know tanning is bad for me! LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• No one has the right to bash anyone. If anyone has anything to say to smokers then they can also say something to companies for polluting the earth .
    Anonymous

• What if you are FAT and SMOKE!?
    Anonymous

• Non-over weight, non-smoker here. Not all over-weight ppl can control it. They might have a thyroid problem. Even if they are poor eaters, their eating habits are not bothering others. Smokers always choose to be smokers and as a reformed smoker I can safely say that they don't realize how intrusive the smoke is to ppl around them. So, yes, over weight ppl have the right to have an opinion about smokers.
    On the other hand, if you have to sit next to an over-weight person on an airplane or in a sports stadium, it is very uncomforable because you have less room. So, yes, smokers have the right to have an opinion about over-weight ppl.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 7:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2010