since my last question got deleted for using a certain word. Here's my question again refraised. Is it normal for a 6 month old to hit his chest like he's mentally challenged.

my son has been doing this for about 2 weeks now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Like I said before, you need to address concerns like this with your doctor. It's hard from that explanation to say whether something like that is normal, even though my guess is yes, he's fine. He may have just discovered a new movement that he can make with his arms.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• please please please call your pediatrician about this. it might as the previous momma said, it might just be something NEW he can do. but it also might eb something else.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• How old is your son? Do you think he's just playing around? I agree with PP. Ask the ped.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• What do you mean? Hows he hitting it? Hes onlly six months right? Do you have a pcp?
    Anonymous

• all of my kids went thru a stage of banging their heads on walls etc. its self discovery...new sounds for them. perfectly normal. but if you're worried about it, then ask your ped.
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 6:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• He takes his arm and hits himself across his chest and diagonal. He hits hard enough to leave red marks and sometimes scratches on his chest.
    Anonymous

• Like other PP's said, TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If he is only 6 months old - he may be doing it because there is some discomfort in his chest. Does he seem like he's in pain? Hopefully it's nothing, but like others have answered - it is truly best to ask an expert, since none of us have had this experience...
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010