How to approach a cold during pregnancy?

Symptoms: runny, congested nose. aches. sore chest. mucusy cough (phlem is there but wont come up).

2nd trimester: Week 21

Treatment/relief options that are safe?

JoyfulJuliana

Asked by JoyfulJuliana at 6:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• tylenol,steam,nasal irrigation with salt water

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• take afrin nasal spray for your nose, it's a life saver. other than that just rest and get lots of fluids. don't take medicine but nasal spray is fine and it works better than medicine anyway
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• someone suggested for me to use a neti pot, and it worked wonders!
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 6:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My doctor said Zycam is okay. It's basically Zinc and helps you get over your cold faster. Nettie Pots never worked for me although I try everytime just in case.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Avoid Zycam; it can permanently take away your sense of smell!

Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference.
    A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!

I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu

Feel better!!