THE EPISIOTOMY ISSUE. How long in advance should I let my doctor know that I don't want it done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i wrote it on my birth plan. i only have a midwife but the docs and midwives in my office don't do them either cause if you're gonna rip it's much better to rip naturally than sugically
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I asked my midwife during my first visit. She said that she never does them, and neither did the OBs in that office.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• next visit. my doc didnt do them either.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I tell my doctor right away. But my ob's don't do it anyway.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• With my first baby I didn't know anything about episiotomies, so he gave me one without telling me what he was doing. After having one I knew I didn't want another. So when I was pregnant again I told my new midwife at my first appointment and also at my last two appointments and when I was in labor. I REALLY didn't want one :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• It's either that or you rip naturally right??
    Anonymous

• thats awful that you were cut a new one w/o them telling you first. thats why i prefer midwives to doctors cause they don't rush the process of birth so the baby comes out on their time. midwives are a lot more understanding and willing to work with you instead of doing everything their way
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Talk about it as soon as possible with your Dr. This is also where a Birth plan also comes in wonderfully.
    Anonymous

• I ripped from end to end with my first baby and almost bled to death
    Anonymous

• Alii... not only did he not tell me, but as he was injecting several numbing shots I asked what he was doing and he would not answer me. I asked at least 5 times and no answer, finally I told him "if you don't tell me what you are doing I will kick you in the head!" Then he told me that he was numbing me for an episiotomy. I asked him what that was and he told me "it will help get the baby out". Then he cut and I felt it completely, it hadn't been enough time for the numbing shots to ease the pain of it. UGH! I had only been pushing for about 7 minutes at that point. I only pushed for about 12 minutes from beginning to end. He didn't know if the baby would fit, he didn't give me enough time for my vag to adjust to the right size, he just cut to save himself time.
    That is why I went with a midwife the other two times.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010