I want to host a breastfeeding class...

I have my own office so I know I have the space to do it in
and I was thinking of advertising to pregnant women who want to BF but don't have support, or are just curious

Every age, Every class, etc

I want it to be free of course and have a lactation consultant or two come and just do a tutorial, of diff positions, explain benefits, explain what u may experience, etc.

Later if the women would like a free lactation consultant to help them for the first week of their babies life, I want to offer that as well, not sure how many yet.

Would you come to a "seminar" if you were preg and curious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• OK ANON :52 FOR SOME OF US IS NOT THAT EASY IF IT WAS I WOULD HAVE BF MY DD AND I WOULDNT HAD TO PUMP ONLY FOR DS FOR 11 MTS. IF NURSING WAS AS EASY AS YOU MAKE IT SOUND MORE PEOPLE WOULD DO IT. ALOT OF WOMAN STRUGGLE WITH BREASTFEEDING AND NOT ALL BABIES ARE BORN KNOWING HOW TO DO IT!! SO EXCUSEME IF YOU KID LATCH ON TO YOUR BOOB AS SOON AS YOU PUSHED IT OUT, BUT IT DOESNT HAPPEN TO ALL WOMAN.

OP I THINK YOUR IDEA IS GREAT!! I WISH I HAD MORE SUPPORT YES I TOOK ONE CRAPPY BREATFEEDING CLASS IT WAS AND HOUR , THEY FORGOT TO MENTION ALOT OF STUFF IN THAT CLASS. IS NOT AS EASY AS PUT BABY TO BOOB!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If you look in your area, there should be a few classes already happening, such as a hospital or La Leche League(sp?). Not to discourage you, but maybe find out when they hold thiers and find another time when you could hold yours so whatever a mothers' situation/schedule is...they can have one available to them.
    Anonymous

• No, i wouldn't. The lactation specialist comes in and goes over that after you have the baby. I didn't think breast feeding was that hard. It's not something I would consider to be so complicated that I would need to take a class over it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• put baby's mouth to boob, let baby suck boob.....women really need a class for that?!
    Anonymous

• OP

some women dont know that every 1-2mos baby increases feedings, sometimes nipples bleed, so then since women dont know that they switch to FF feeding. Maybe I'll just offer it for the first couple weeks after birth
    Anonymous

• What are your qualifications? I think people offering up advice in a formal way like that makes them appear to be experts. Unless you have had training I just don't think you're qualified. I was told by someone I assumed was a lactation consultant to ignore my doctor's advice and not worry about the fact that my baby who weighed less than 5 pounds wasn't eating at all. If I had listened to her the results could have been disastrous. So please don't tell people what to do unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Anonymous

• I went to a class on breastfeeding before my 1st was born. I think all pregnant women should have to attend one whether they think they're going to breastfeed or not - it answered all my questions!

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2010