how to cook salmon so it doesn't taste fishy

My husband and I are attempting to eat healthier. We'd like to try salmon but we are normally NOT fish eaters. Tuna is ok. Anyone have a good recipe for a way to make salmon taste less fishy? Or is there a tip to buying salmon?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• First and foremost, you have to buy the freshest salmon! The meat has to be shiny. Salmon is our favorite fish and I often cook it. I've tried different ways of cooking it. The only type of cooking that removes the fishy smell is to fry it. First, marinate in lemon, garlic and a bit of seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley). Make sure that while marinating it's kept in the fridge to keep the fish fresh. It only takes an hour to marinate fish then you can fry it. it takes yummy! Oh, use canola oil for a no calorie, no saturated fat oil.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have always heard that lemon juice will make it less fishy.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My husband cooks it in bbq sauce. It's actually pretty good
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Rinse under cold water. Pat dry. Put in baking dish and cover tightly with foil. The foil will keep the fish moist. Do not overbake and it should (hopefully) taste better. I always make extra and serve cold the next day (think tuna salad).
    Anonymous

• If you buy fresh fish, the "fishy" smell/taste should be minimal. Lemon and dill is awesome on salmon.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I like terriaki (sp?) with salmon. We buy 'steaks' and grill it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Buy the freshest salmon you can, it has the best taste. We wrap it up in foil, add lemon slices and onion slices to it and then cook it on the grill.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 10:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Definitely buy fresh and rinse first. I also like to smash my garlic fresh tith salt with a mortar and pestle, and I use it for marinating. So I do smashed garlic, and lots of lemon. I'm not a fan of the popular cooking in foil because i am paranoid about aluminum vapors in my food, so i place it in a corning ware casserole with a glass lid and bake it it the toaster oven.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2010