11 week old coughing!

my ds woke up this morning with a cough and head congestion. we took him to the er and they say everythings fine but he is still having trouble. he is so congested that he is having trouble eating and breathing. the dr. says that he is coughing because he's so congested. they say not to use saline drops because at this age if they get in his lungs it can cause infection. he doesn't have a fever but it seems like his cough is getting worse. his ped. isn't open until monday. does anyone have any suggestions or ways to clear his congestion/coughing?please help!

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Are you breast feeding? IF so, put a couple of drops of your milk (not formula) in his nose instead. It should help loosen up the congestion like the saline.

Another thing you can do is put some vick vapor rub on the bottoms of his feet and cover with socks. It don't know how it works, but it does. I've even done it to myself.

Make sure that he sleeps on an incline, like elevating his mattress or let him sleep in the car seat for a couple of days. Also, run a cool mist humidifier in his room.

Hope he feels better soon!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• humidifier in his room, he needs to be propped up or be sleeping on an incline so it encourages drainage. run a HOT shower and just sit on the toilet in the bathroom with him a couple times a day at least and before he sleeps. encourage him to try to eat when your in the bathroom running the hot shower...it'll help all that junk go down because he's swallowing.
    they have baby vicks as wellt hat you can put on his chest and under his nose. get a ball suctioner and suction out his nose everytime he eats.
    It's scary to have babies so young with bad colds...my DD was like that...it seemed like she got a cold every month! If you still don't feel comfortable with how he's doing, I would take him to the ER or urgent care, and then take him to the ped on monday when they open. My Ped always told me if they were having trouble breathing/eating that we needed to bring them in~!
    Anonymous

• group hug Hang in there mom.  If you think he can still not breath bring him in to the ER again ,always listen to your gut!  You know what is best.  I would keep him upright do not lay him straight down.  

Anonymous