Can someone hijack your email account?

Awhile back someone hijacked my email account, or so I thought. Someone asked me to resend them something that they had received from me because they were unable to open it. I did not send them anything. I opened my "sent" stuff and found an email had been sent to all my contacts. So, I notified everyone and changed my password and even opened a new account. Today and yesterday I have received fake emails from a contact that was on my list. It's the same thing that was done to mine. So, question is... have they really hijacked us or are they just able to send emails with our return address on them? Anyone know?? Or how to fix this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It sounds like a virus. Make sure you run your virus scanner and if you have a malware scanner, run that too. (MalWare Bytes is a good one.)

There are a lot of email hijacker viruses out there that will send an email copy of itself to everyone in your email address book, in an attempt to spread it to other people. Most of them are fairly simple and are easily removed with an up to date virus scanner.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Was it a viagra ad?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i dont know. a friend emailed me today asking me what the link was too and had it posted at the bottom. i hadnt sent anything, but was not about to click on that link.
    Anonymous

• Yes, yesterday's was a viagra ad and today's I couldn't get into... why??
    Anonymous

• There may be a worm on your computer, or you inadvertenty gave someone permission, via fb or something. run your software after you update it, check your fb apps, and after everything is clean, change your password again.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yes. Change your password. If it happens again you'll have to get a new email.

My husband is a computer programmer and this happened recently to my gmail account.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010