How to deal with my mom

I love her unconditionally and she is so important in my life as is her faith in which helps her through the bad times. She sends me text and stuff all the time with her Chrsitian faith and I don't mind at all but sometimes I want to be honest with her and say "Mom, I don't believe in what you do but I share the same things". I am not sure she would understand. I believe that Amun-Ra is god and have always been drawn to egypt since I was a child. How have you dealt with your family?

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible says pretty clearly that God has thousands of names. Can you study both religions and find the similarities? I'm sure there are dozens.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• That is a tough I have my MIL visiting soon for the weekend and I will be facing the same thing. She has some idea that we don't believe organized religion is for us and that we don't put people down for their beliefs. I have even gone so far as to put SOME of my things in hiding but I don't know if thats the right thing to do. I mean, its my home ya know. I will be looking back on this for the same advice.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I meant she has the understanding that we don't believe in organized religion for our family. I have been out in the sun all day and my fingers won't type what I want LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• loving..there are a lot of similarities but it is "Christianity or nothing" in her eyes. It is a touchy subject.

pnw...I am with you on that. I threw out all my books before I moved as she was helping us move and I didn't want her to see the stuff. I mean, my hous is filled with egyptian statues but she has always known my obsession for it
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• lol i knew what you meant
    WonderWoman1979

• i will also be looking back for the some advice
    TOMBOI

Answer by TOMBOI at 8:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I knew they'd be broken hearted and was waiting til I knew my mother and grandmother could handle it better. That never happened so in some ways I was robbed of the chance to calmly discuss things.

In the end it all worked out as I knew it would. They ignore me more now then before I left the church and when we do talk they avoid the subject and dont ask me about what I do believe. They feel Im going to hell in a handbasket and, at least partially, blame my husband and feel Satan got me and led me from the straight and narrow.
    Personally, my only opinion is to be up front and honest and make sure family understands you still respect their beliefs and will always show that respect...however, that respect should be reciprocated as well. That I may not believe the same anymore but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate how I was raised,etc. I didnt want my mom to think I was blowing off all she'd taught me and how she raised me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I've asked them not to clutter my e-mail with religious and political stuff, but it didn't quite work. I just delete the messages when they arrive. Just ask her to stop sending all religious material to you. You should always be honest if she pushes for a reason.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Very good question WW... I haven't really dealt with it with my family yet. I keep thinking I might just jump up someday and say... oh by the way I Pagan, have been for a few years. But, it never seems to be the right time. For me it is highly personal, and I am not sure I want to share it with someone who doesn't share my beliefs. I have always had a thing for "witchy" type things, Celtic history and Native American spiritual stuff. Then I figured out why I was drawn to it all so deeply. So, I still don't know what I am going to do about my family, etc.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I told my mother flat out - I'm not interested, please stop sending me this stuff! I don't want it to come between us, but that's what your constant preaching is going to do... Then we didn't talk for 5 years... Now she just doesn't try any more. Not that I'm thinking that's a good idea for you - but it's the only thing that worked for me... But again, seeing how you have and want a relationship with your mother and I have never had a need for one with mine... I don't see how that would work for you.

What I would suggest to you is simply talking to her. Telling her just what you told us. That you are just as firm in and happy with your beliefs as she is with hers and that you feel like her messages and texts are becoming offensive. Simply explain that you really would prefer she stopped sending them and that you wish she would respect your feeling and beliefs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010