Dog food switch..dog STILL has loose poops, after 5 weeks on new food!

Hi there, I adopted a 1 year old beagle/hound from the shelter. We switched him onto new food, because they feed them a mix of 3 and it's all donation food, so his diet was not good there. We have him on Blue Buffalo, Holistic food...lamb and brown rice, and I know there's veggies in it...and some fruit. My dog STILL has diarrhea after 5 weeks on this food. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there, that has experienced the same thing, and it does take a bit longer than this..for them to have solid stool. I would hate to waist time and money on the vet, just to have her tell me to switch his food..cause 5 weeks is long enough. He drinks plenty of water, and eats well.. lots of walks too, I don't think he's sick at all. He has alrd been de wormed too, he did have tape worm when I got him. He is also up to date with all his shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Blue Buffalo is an awesome food, but that doesn't mean that all dogs will do well on it. That is the brand my dogs currently eat and they do great on it. My adult dogs are also on the Lamb/Brown Rice while the puppy is on Large Breed Puppy. Have you tried any of the other formulas? What about the grain-free ones? Some dogs can't tolerate any grains. The grain-free formulas do cost about $3 per bag more (at least where I live) and the bag size is smaller though (24lbs). If you would like to try another grain-free brand, Taste of the Wild is excellent (my dogs LOVED it even more than BB) AND it is usually cheaper than BB. When I could get it near me (before the store I bought it at went out of business), it was $42.50 for 30lbs whereas BB Lamb & Brown rice is $46.99 for 30lbs.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I would take him to the vet just to make sure there is no underlying issue.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Have the vet re-check for worms. Then try a different food. Could be an alergy. Boiled rice and hamburg (only) could help settle his stomach. Be careful with treats. Do not give chocolate,grapes,raisins,onions - they can be fatal.
    Anonymous

• we don't give him anything like that, I've researched all the things they can't have. And he was given dopac to clear up all worms, not even a month ago. We did give him some rice, and chicken..and his stool got harder....I am considering it could be Giardia or another parasite similar. I'm taking him in next week for sure.
    Anonymous

• You can also go on the internet and see if there were any recent complaints about the particular dog food brand you are now feeding him. I had my dog on a food brand for 5 years then all of a sudden she lost weight and lossed hair, and became a little sickly. I researched the brand of dog food I was using and there were many, many complaints. I took her off the dog food, and switched her to another brand it took about a full month, and remarkably she became so much better. Gained all her weight back and hair loss. You would be surprised at some of the things you can find over the internet on dog food brands.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You can take in a stool sample to your vet and have them check it for parasites. You can even leave your dog at home so all they charge you for is the fecal. Then you can go from there.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 9:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I've switched my dog to taste of the wild..and he's alrd starting to have more solid stools. We're hoping this was the prob, and we won't need to have his stool tested. We de-worm him every 3 months with Dopac, It kills all worms! Thank you all for the great advice....take care!!
    Anonymous