Do you know one of THOSE moms?

I have a friend in my mommy's group who has 2 kids (single mom). One kid's dad isn't in the picture, and one's is. She has a support system with her family, & they will watch her 2 girls for her (10 & 2). She offers to babysit for everyone, but she won't ever take anyone up on the offers to sit for her. She works part time from home, & spends her $$ on stupid stuff (going out to eat, movies, etc.).
But then she complains how terrible she has it. It's like, no one can have it harder than she does. If someone else has a problem, she's always like, "Well at least it's not (something she's dealing with)." And then she complains how she NEVER has a babysitter & she never gets to go anywhere (which she DOES), & she doesn't have any money. It's always SOMETHING to get sympathy. I guess you would call this a martyr? IDK what to do. I don't want to be around her because it's so annoying. How do I deal with her attention-seeking??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate people who cry "wa wa wa" if you have a problem do something about it or shut up. I cut these people out of my life. They bring me down. If you can not cut her out for some reason the next time she starts with the "I never have a baby sitter".. Say oh I have offered let me know when your in need.
    The thing is this won't shut her up. My sil is this way. Her life is way harder than anyone's. So when she a starts with the wine I leave the room. That is my best defense other wise I get nutty.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Just be there for her.
    Anonymous

• I guess either call her out on it or avoid being around her... Yes I have a friend that is like that too! We dont talk as much anymore. and my Sister inlaw is like that too!!!
    Anonymous

• You k now I know some women like that and when they start in on the "poor me's" I walk away cause life is what you make of it and the choices you make so if you make your bed then you have to lay in it. So my advice to you is just walk away and let it go in one ear and out the other. Life is short to listen to peoples "poor me's"
    Anonymous

• Yeah, i avoid people like that or call them out...like " well I did ask if you wanted me to babsit for you last monday, remember, so you shouldn't act like you don't get opportunities to go out"...
    Anonymous

• Stay silent when she starts to complain. I can't stand that either. We can all make our life stories sound like sob stories if try hard enough and leave out all the good things.
    Anonymous

• YUp, I stay away from women like that especially if they have it better than me and I don't complain.
    Anonymous

• Say "I'm sorry" and change the subject back. She'll get it eventually.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• (OP)
    I called her out on it once (like anon :08 said), & she wouldn't speak to me for a month. Guess I hit the nail on the head?
    I try really hard to be there for her, but it's becoming more & more difficult. It's not that either of us don't have problems, it's that we're facing DIFFERENT problems. But to her, everything in her life is always worse. She tells me she's always there for me too, but then if I call her after a fight with my hubby, she says something like, "Well at least you have a husband. I don't have anyone." Ok, that's true, but just because I'm married doesn't mean my life is perfect either. DH & I just separated, so believe me, it's far from perfect!!
    Anonymous

• Nope, not a martyr. A cry baby.
    Anonymous