When can you give a baby cereal?

my twins are 8 weeks & never seem to fill up..all I do is feed them..can I give them some cereal now & if so how much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started at 4 months because our pedi suggested we do that to help our boys fatten up!
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I would make them about 1/2teaspoon to a 1teaspoon and make it pretty soupy and see how they do mix it with forumla. I started my LO on cereal at 1 month old and she is just fine.
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't until they are about 4 months at least
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• no, thats too young. every baby is very hungry at that age. my son was the same way.
    i started him on cereal at 4-5 months.
    they are way too young to eat with a spoon, they will choke for sure and i tried a couple times putting a little in his bottle, it did absolutley nothing so dont even waste your time.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i'd start around 6 months maybe 5, maybe 7, depending on how they act.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i did my first with soupy cereal at 2 months and i plan to do my second at 3 months. back in the day moms feed cereal to babies at a few weeks old. my whole fam was feed this way and they think i am taking to long to feed my kids. non of us have any stomach issues either, nor are we over weight! as long as you dont make it too thick, they will not choke.
    Anonymous

• hey are growth spurtng. they are supposed to feed often. it is normal. Babies that young can NOT digest rice cereal. It comes out the same way it went in. All you will do is replace the calories and nutrition they need to do the rapid growth they need to do and their brain development needs the breastmilk (or formula). You can't change a baby's need to eat often. It's just the way it is.

Rice cereal is also binding so you run the real risk of causing constipation and some horrible gas.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• It is normal for them to eat alot at that age. They are growing. Thier tummies arent ready for cereal yet. The recommendation is 4 to 6 months, You should talk to your ped. Each kid is different and the doc can tell you when they are ready.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Cereal can disrupt a baby's sleep patterns. Solids fed to babies too soon can cause a whole host of issues, from allergies through diabetes; many of which will not show up until they are adults. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2010