Fire Ant bites. Should I be conserned?

My 3 year old and I got bit on our feet and ankles about a week ago. Our bites were following the normal process of bites (I googled it). They were small red little bites than they went to the blister looking things with the red around them. Now with mine the blisters are gone, the red is looking like it is turning to scar tissue (I scar very easily so this is normal for me), and they are looking better like they are going away. My daughters however don't look much better. The blisters are gone but the red is still there and as of today they even look swollen. I'm not sure what I should do. She isn't acting funny and doesn't have a fever. Any ideas on what I should do?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 9:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Health

• A baking Soda water paste works wonders. She should be okay this time. Be careful next time she gets bitten though. I got multiple bites when I was about 6-7 and am now deathly allergic to fire ants. My doctor said that after multiple bites, younger children are very susceptible to a strong acquired allergy.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• She may just be taking longer to get rid of the toxins. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I seem to have an allergy to them because I got two bites on one foot last summer and my foot swelled up so big that by that same evening that I could barely fit it in a shoe, and I was limping all night from it (I worked nights). It itched horribly and hurt too.

I say if she's not showing signs of pain or irritation with it, and it's just red and a little swollen, it'll probably get better soon.
    Anonymous

• We are both going crazy with the itch. lol. Any one know how to get rid of that? Anti- itch creams don't seem to help long enough.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Ice helps because it numbs the receptors. Also, use a paste made of baking soda and water. Spread it over the itchy part and let it dry.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and if she's itching, then that's why it's still all red and has some swelling. If it had swollen as big as mine did right away, then I would worry.
    Anonymous

• I would take her to the doctor!
    Anonymous

• I would take her to the dr too. I got bit on the feet by fireants and ended up in the ER and had to get antibiotics. The swelling is not a good sign. You might call ER and ask them for advice.
    Anonymous