Was it wrong of me to only offer $8?

I was out walking today and walked by this church that was having a yard sale. They had this HUGE box of diapers. I needed diaper's really bad. I was going to have to borrow some money if my check doesn't come on Monday. I asked the lady in charge how much the box was and she said it was donation based. So I offered her what I had: $8. Hubby says it was wrong of me to ask if I could have the diaper's for so little becuase they are the name brand and and the box has 128 diaper's in it. They gave them to me but they didn't seem very happy about it. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think you're in the wrong at all. If your husband keeps being a jerk about it, tell him that once you get paid, you'll go back to that church and give them another $20 or something.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it was wrong at all. It was all that you had. they could have said no.
    Anonymous

• I think that just the fact that you offered her every penny you had to your name is a sign that you really needed them and I would not feel bad about that. Just my opinion. It's not like you had over $20 and decided to be a tight wad and only offer $8.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You offered all that you could spare. If it was unacceptable they would have discussed the original cost of the diapers with you & tried to make you feel bad. Glad you got a good deal.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Donation is donation and if you gave your last $8 then you have 128 diapers and your child is all set. I would just never mind what they had to say or never mind what they thought of it. You have what you needed and they got $8 for a donation.
    Anonymous

• If they were selling them in a yard sale, clearly they wanted to get rid of them. They took your 8 dollars because they just wanted a donation. You donated all you could to the cause and got a great deal on diapers! :) I say good for you! No need to feel bad at all.
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 9:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• it never hurts to ask... and if you only have $8 bucks what were you supposed to do?? If they didn't want to sell it for that much they should have put prices on the items ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If it was based on donations, and you gave all you had, you did nothing wrong. They were being rude.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You were not wrong at all.
    Anonymous

• I think that you did a great thing by offering every dollar you had. I am sure they understood. Seems like God blessed you today.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2010