when would you take your newborn out and about? (preemie)

my son was born at 33 weeks and he's 38 weeks now. he was in the NICU until 37 weeks. my nephew's first birthday is in 2 weeks and we are planning to go to his party but i'm wondering if it's a bad idea since my son was a preemie and he will just then be 40 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He'll probably be okay so long as he's kept comfortable and doesn't have a lot of grubby little hands touching him.
    Anonymous

• I would not take him out. I did not take my daughter out after 8 weeks as told by my peds doctor. They can still get sick in the summer.
    Anonymous

• I think from what I have read and heard(I did a lot of research when I was prego, my son was full term though), that it would be okay at 40 weeks if you don't let baby be passed around to random family members and such. I would think that they would understand with him being pre-mature. But, ask their pedi. to be sure!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Since its June, I would say your probably okay but I would make everyone who wants to hold him wash their hands first and if someone is sick just stay away from that person during the party.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Well my only concern would be with being at a childs party. The germs the kids. If he is safey home from the hospital it maybe o.k. But, you are mom and moms knw best. I am sure you will make the right choice. I am happy he is fine. Congrats
    MIXED

Answer by MIXED at 9:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think you should speak to your childs doctor and then if he gives you the go ahead then I would go with your gut feeling and then see how things go for the next two weeks and if you do go don't be having him/her passed from person to person. I took my DD out at 1 week old but no one held her except my mom, MIL SIL, Great grandma until she was 3 months old.
    Anonymous

• I would call and talk to the ped for sure but I would think it would be okay if you took precautions. Keep her in her bucket seat or sling. If people insist on holding or touching have had sanitizer ready or it's your baby so saying 'not right now' is okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i probably wouldnt ... my son was born at 34 weeks and i didnt take him out until he was at least 6 weeks old but if you do, just keep him away from little kids and lots of people.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I don't know with him being a preemie, but I took my son to the laundry mat at 2 weeks old. I had no choice, I had to get my laundry done. Of course I was given dirty looks and unwanted comments from people about how I was being a bad mom taking him out so early. He wasn't a preemie though. I still have to do the things i need to do and do my best to keep him safe.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• We went out to eat when my daughter was 4 days old and when she was a week old we walked around the mall a bit. She wasn't a preemie, though, so I don't know if I would have done anything different had she been.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2010