Moms of older boys.........possibly TMI

What age to boys start to masturbate? I think I might have caught my almost two year old doing this a couple of nights ago and yes I am serious. I put him to bed and about an hour later I heard him talking so I go to check on him and he had taking his jammy bottoms and his diaper off and is sitting in the dark playing with himself. I turned on the light so I could get him dressed and his little pee pee was hard.

DH just laughed at me when I asked him what age it starts at. I don't think he (DS) knows what he's doing but I felt like I invaded his privacy. I'm an only child so I've never had to deal with this stuff before.

No bashing please! I was really caught off guard by this. DS always plays with his pee pee during bath time and diaper changes but has never done this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• He has realized he has something down there he is just being a boy they start at like 12-14 so you have more time a lot more then you thought.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't consider what he did masturbating. I'd say thats when they do it to orgasm. My son is 9 and he's played with his since birth.
    Anonymous

• My mom has a saying about boys and their toys :D

They play with them from womb to tomb.

He he he... it is perfectly normal. He is a boy and it feels good so he touches it I have three boys and they all play with their penises. Girls touch themselves at that age too. Don't worry about it. He isn't masturbating in the true sense, he doesn't have sexual feelings yet, he is too young. It feels good so he does it.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I don't have a son but from what I have heard, that is normal. That area is sensitive even at that young age and he is just exploring his body. To him it is no different than his arm or his tummy. I would be careful not to make him feel ashamed for finding it just teach him that we don't bring our privates out in public or in the middle of the living room and that the bathroom is the appropriate place for not being fully clothed. :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• He is just exploring, it is completely normal! It feels good so he continues to do it... It is not really considered masturbating.
    Anonymous

• It's not masturbation because he's not seeking sexual gratification out of it. That'll happen closer to the teen years.
    Anonymous

• It's not technically masturbation at that age, he's just noticing that it feels good. It's only once he starts doing to seeking orgasm, and that won't come for a few years. But both my 3 & 4 yos "play" with themselves. From what my friends and DH says they won't start seeking actual orgasm until they are about 6-8... But each child is different... I just make sure they know that those are things we do in private and not while anyone else is around because it's "private." So far they are getting it and have started going to their room to "play." But it's normal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• don't worry--he won't go blind yet...lol.
    He just noticed there is something "down there" and it sticks up if he touches it...how cool...lol. Nothing to worry about. I

Anonymous

• It is normal. He's fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Normal
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2010