what can a doctor do for a 9 month old with a fever?

my doctor told me to give her tylenol but my mother in law is freaking out on me that we havent taken her to the doc (i called) or the hospital. Is there anything they can give her or do for her or treat her? I'm going to take her monday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it's up to 99.9 it's considered normal because she's a baby and they run a little warmer. if it's a consistent fever that dosesn't go away with the aid of tylenol for 2 or more days, then you should take her to the doctors.
    Tell your MIL to chill out, she could just be teething!! lol
    Anonymous

• nope,all you can do is tylenol and light layers.There's nothing the doctor can do beyond what you do at home.It depends on why she has it,and whether she's dehydrated. The hospital can rehydrate a baby if it came to that.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If you take her to the hospital you will end up witha big bill and a resident who doesn't know anything about kids trying to diagnose a virus. In the end, they'll call it X, Y or Z and send you home with "Give tylenol and motrin alternating every 4 hours".

If you can't get her fever down with the tylenol/motrin regimin THEN take her in. Otherwise, save yourself the money and the hassle and just take her to the doc on monday.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If her/his fever isn't 102.9 or above and if it goes down and comes back as soon the tylenol wears off then yes you want to bring the baby in but you still run the risk of them saying the baby has XYZ and take the baby in monday to doctor. I hope you have a better child soon.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 9months, and they tell me to just give her Tylenol unless it gets too high then i have to go to the er with her, is she teething?
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Anon :13, my daughter had a 104 degree fever that spiked back up two hours after giving tylenol or motrin, she was lethargic and glassy eyed and weak. I freaked out and took her to the ER and you know what happened? They said she had a UTI and sent us home with "Give tylenol and motrin alternating every 4 hours" and a prescription for antibiotics and an order to see our pediatrician in a week. The ped looked at the records and said she didn't have a UTI, that it was a virus, that her immune system was doing it's job and the whole thing was completely unnecessary. Thank GOD I spent $300 (AFTER insurance) on the ER visit, blood and urine cultures and a renal ultrasound.

I learned that a fever is only a problem if it doesn't come down.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2010