Shopping calculator

Does anyone know of a website that has a way to input your grocery/shopping items and it will calculate the total cost of each item and all items together? I think this is something I really need that I could use to budget and know just what I will spend. I usually make a list and estimate prices, but I'm always so off. I'm wondering if there is something on the web that could help me.

sstokes86

Asked by sstokes86 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've been using e-mealz to keep food buying on a budget:  http://e-mealz.com/amember/go.php?r=112384&i=b3

It's totally worth the $1.25 a week to me.  We all love all the recipes, they're super simple to make, and you know exactly how much you'll spend each week on dinner meals. 

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I need something to calculate food and other items.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I always make a list with the shoping flyer and take a calculator with incase I don't know the price of something to stay on budget espically when I pick up instore specials not in the paper; but I don't have a cell phone and don't know about their apps, I also have went to the store without my kids just to make sure I can learn the prices and always have some idea. I always go shopping alone, so I can get it right, no distractions.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I don't know of a website but walmart does price match. Good Luck!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 11:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I suspect that you need to change some bad habits. There are three of us, plus frequent extra teens. We spend around $80 a week on groceries; we eat mostly organic, whole foods.

Here are some of my favorite tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry).

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• Prices vary so much with whatever area you are in, the time of year, and fluctuations in store costs that I don't think it's possible for a website to keep track of those things.

What I do is keep track of all the prices on a computer spreadsheet. I take every receipt when we get home from shopping and update the spreadsheet. I have a column with all of my typical shopping items, then a separate column for each store's prices. When it comes time to shop, I make up my list, check it with the spreadsheet, and I can easily see where the lowest price will be. It also lets me see if a store's sale is really a good sale and if it'll be worth my time to check it out.

If you would like a copy of my spreadsheet so you can compare and maybe set one up for yourself, PM me.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010