Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong?

DH is depressed. We've both had a rough couple of years and for a while, I was severely depressed but he never pushed me into seeking treatment. Now that I am on the other side of depression, I can see that he is very depressed. When he's not at work, he just wants to sit and do nothing all day. I beg him to do stuff with me and our boys and he does but he just sulks the whole time.

I asked him to see a counselor and he did for like two visits and stopped because he didn't really like the counselor so I told him I'd help him find a new one and he's just not really interested.

Am I wrong to insist he seek treatment? I want my husband back. I feel like I need to do this for him because he can't do it for himself right now.
He acknowledges that he is depressed but just won't do anything about it. I would appreciate any suggestions you guys do have to help me get my hubby back!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Health

Answers (3)
  • He needs to see more than a counselor. He needs to see a psychiatrist who specializes in medications for depression. They can help a lot. Also wouldn't hurt for him to have a medical checkup to make sure nothing else is going on. Hope this helps

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • If he is being stubborn about going to see someone, I would definitely make him an appointment with your family Dr. Be there with him for this appointment and let the Dr. know what's going on... maybe step outside and advise him. It's a way to make sure the problem gets addressed without his defense. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • i agree with anon. 30. "hugs"

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.