How many times a day is it ok to give a baby, baby food?

She is 6months & im giving her stage 1 baby foods. "home made" but, she always wants more during the day.. She doesn't like baby cereal or otmeal.. i give her once around 1:00 & the next one around 7... 2oz...by spoon feeding. she is breast feed as well...

how many time a day do u give ur baby, baby food & how old r they?

Thank you..

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 10:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Skip the cereal. It's difficult to digest, causes constipation and void of any nutrients. The home made baby food is perfect. The key is to give it right after nursing. She needs to be getting her nutrients from the BM still. The solids are just for practice for later when she NEEDS them. Think of the solids like desert. They come AFTER dinner (nursing) She'll probably eat an oz or so, because she's already eaten her real dinner.
    Remember, you are just practicing and testing new foods and textures for allergies and exposure. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• the cereal is important to give her. she might not like it at first, but if you keep trying, she will start likeing it. and you have to make it taste good too.. this is what i would do - take a little pan, and put some of your breast milk in it and some stage 1 fruit like apples or pears in too, and heat it up. then mix it in with the cereal. it makes it taste good. and give some plain fruit too! at 6 months old my son would eat fruit and cereal for breakfast and dinner.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• @ PuRple that sounds good the cereal its very plain that might b y she doesn't like it thanks ill try thats..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 11:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I absolutely disagree with PURPULbutterfuly - cereal is not important. Breastfed infants do not NEED anything but breastmilk until they are a year old. We just started our little girl on "solids" when she turned 6 months two weeks ago. We give about a teaspoon of either squash, peaches, or avocado in the morning after she has nursed. When she turns 7 months, we'll add some more. I think it is very important to start solids very slowly, especially for breastfed infants, to allow their digestive systems time to adjust. Formula-fed babies can handle solids better, because their digestive systems have already been tainted by the formula that their bellies were not meant to digest. I think you should continue what you are doing, if she is hungry, nurse more.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My doctor said cereal is not important, it doesnt give much nutrition if you read the label you will see this. So if she doesn't like it then it's not the end of the world.

My son is 7 months today. We make his baby food so I have no idea what stage it is but its chunky/soft
    once about 45 minutes after he wakes up, usually a fruit like apples, bananas, apple/blue berry mixed, etc...
    then we do once for dinner so veggies, like peas and carrots mixed, or finely cut chicken that he eats as finger food and sweet potatoes we mix it up, and water from a cup, not a sippy

we are going to add a lunch soon but not sure when...

for the rest of the time he is breastfed
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I don't buy or make baby food. Waste of energy. We meal share table food. I have an 8 1/2 month old and for a month she has wanyed to eat with me. We always nurse first and she eats however much she wants or until i have nothing left to share. I don't measure. Today she had avocado in the morning, we shared a dinner of broccoli, and some mashed potatoes. I put bits on her tray and she ate what she wanted. I don't spoon feed her except to load a spoon with normally mashed food and give it to her (sometimes guide it sometimes not. She's getting better at it). I get to enjoy my meal with two hands and she self-feeds. No purees or mixing.

Because she has to concentrate on her pincer grip, she doesn't eat too fast and so like breastfeeding can regulate when she feels full. I finger feed too but she takes the food i don't put it in her mouth...i hold it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I only give my dd cereal once a day so far, she's 5 months old and just getting used to the idea of spoon feeding. One thing though, is if you want to do cereal try oatmeal. It is easier to digest than rice and has a little bit of flavor. I tried it lol. you can add a fruit or veggie to it if you want to, but it isn't necessary. I sometimes add prunes to my dd's oatmeal, but just when she has her bouts of infrequent bowel movements. When she's ready I'll add another "meal" and slowly work her up to eating breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2010