Do you provide your child with an eduction (no matter if it is public, private or homeschool)?

This is more for those who say they will not pay for their child's college education. I am just wondering, if you provide an education for your child prior to college, why will you not provide a college education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Of course. Why wouldn't you pay for your child's college? Or atleast part of it? That's ridiculous.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Of course I will provide them a basic education. And I do plan on paying for up to 4 years of further education. But frankly I see no reason for schooling beyond Highschool. I know many people disagree with that, but everyone I know with a decent income or who own their own business, never went to school... So I will pay for my kids first 4 years - BUT, they have to keep up their grades and prove that they want to succeed... Anything beyond 4 years is on them. WHY? Because that means they have chosen to do so, they have all the opportunities in the world with a 4 yr ed, so if they wish to go beyond that, they can cover it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Many people do not PAY for their child's education prior to adulthood. Also post secondary education is not mandated by the state. Those are the two biggest differences between providing a childhood education and a college education.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yeah, I get that cedailey. That's why I am confused. I see people saying they will not pay for their child's college because they don't want their child to have things "handed" to them, yet childhood education is handed to parents through high school. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Anonymous

• Well my tax money pays for public school and pays for the local community college and state colleges, so doesn't that mean they owe my kid an education that I already paid for?
    Anonymous

• We provide education through out property taxes. Anything other than that it's optional at the parents discretion after all they are also provide themselves a retirement plan so that their kids don't end up help them in their old age. If the adult child wants that education they will find a way to pay for it themselves.

Anonymous

• Good point 10 57, but what if your child gets into a University?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i would.. idk what's wrong with people, if they want to continue their education, i will proudly HELP my son go into college, my parents cannot help me due to bad credits and whatnot, but i have a scholarship, and hoping to get a pell grant and work on campus to get my diploma.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Why wouldn't I want my child to go to a university, GinNTonic? Don't get me wrong - I think kids should know and learn how to apply for scholarships and grants, but those don't usually pay for all of it. Further, why would I want my child to start his/her adult life with a shit load of loans when I have all these years prior to college to save for them? I just don't understand being okay with "free" childhood education and not be willing to pay for your child's higher education (which is really the education that matters).

And seriously, those of you who think you are paying for it all through your taxes need to get a grip on reality.
    Anonymous

• I believe many young parents say they will help their kids with college but when it comes down to the wire they don’t have the money because of economic changes and they had to use that money to keep a roof over their heads. So there goes that college fund, the intention was good but not good enough. That’s why it’s good for two parents to work.
    Anonymous