abandoned pet

I had a person crash on our couch when she left her abusive BF. She brought over a chested gego (sp?) she has since moved out. and left the pet. since then has not bought it food or tended to it at all. I have seen her twice since she left a month ago. She lived here for 6 months. The pet has become part of the family my son loves it. he waters the mose and turns the heat lamp on everyday. my question is is it fair to say this pet is now our since she abandoned it? and if she tries to take it (not likely but still curious) that I tell her no. I have spent a lot on this pet so it wouldn't die. I keep it from drying up and dying, I feed it clean the tank (have to buy moss for it) so yeah I don't think she should be able take it now since she abandoned it for dead. what do you think?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pets

• I would say it is yours since she just left and never came back to get it, or even cared enough to make sure you would feed/take care of it and pay for you to look after it. . If she does come back I'd tell her that you have invested a lot of $ in the pet, your child loves it and you want to keep it. If she does not want to give you the pet then I would present her with a bill for all that you have spent on it, and tell her she can have it back as soon as she has paid you in full! (maybe if she has to pay she will rethink the idea and give it to you).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• A Chested Gecko? That would creep me out to have in the house.

I'd say it's yours.
    Anonymous

• I agree its yours and most likely she isn't coming back for it. You could always lie and tell her it died lol or tell her you will pay her for it, but take off money for care and time..which would im sure come to close or over the price of the animal lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• no she dont need it and if she wanted it really bad she should of took it with her ! dont let her have it back !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Crested Ghecko!

I say its yours!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• oh these guys are gorgeous, and need love and care. In some states they need a licence so check and be sure you have one up to date if needed. If she comes back, you can tell her she left it and it is happy now in your son's care, if you are happy to lose the friendship, then hold firm and if she wants to dispute it, she can take you to court. These animals need specialist care and not someone who has a 'wigout' and has a month of responsibility. Good luck, I hope your son gets years of enjoyment, they are really special animals
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I say it's yours but I'm not sure if you could do anything more "legal" to be sure of it. It wouldn't be fair either if she showed up in a year just wanting her supplies.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 10:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2010