pet question

I had a person crash on our couch when she left her abusive BF. She brought over a chested gego (sp?) she has since moved out. and left the pet. since then has not bought it food or tended to it at all. I have seen her twice since she left a month ago. She lived here for 6 months. The pet has become part of the family my son loves it. he waters the mose and turns the heat lamp on everyday. my question is is it fair to say this pet is now our since she abandoned it? and if she tries to take it (not likely but still curious) that I tell her no. I have spent a lot on this pet so it wouldn't die. I keep it from drying up and dying, I feed it clean the tank (have to buy moss for it) so yeah I don't think she should be able take it now since she abandoned it for dead. what do you think?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think if the pet mattered to her that much then she would have, and should have either taken it with her or mentioned that she wouldn't be able to pick him/her up for a while. As a pet owner I could never leave my dog with somebody unintentionally and just completely forget about him. I'd say it's a safe bet that you have a new member of your family. :)
    Anna_Lee

Answer by Anna_Lee at 11:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think I would call her and tell her you feel like you have adopted her pet. Ask her if this is fine with her or what is her plan? That way if she feels bad you gave her an out. If she is like oh wow I was going to get it... you can nicely tell her your son is in love and you wouldn't want to break his heart. Since he is caring for it. Just have a conversation so you can feel that you know where to go in the future with your son. Simply pet sitting is okay, but you need to know what the perimeters are.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree with you but why not just let her know that your kids love it, you've invested a lot of time and money and you'd appreciate if she'd agree to let you have it. That way she won't come back in a year or so and be angry when you don't let her take it. Good Luck! :)
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 11:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I forgot to mention that the one time she was here she had a friend too, and showed him "her gego" and I was like *cough* "our gego" and she laughed said "true"

IDK I can't seam to get a read off her and she's a bit dodgy. I think I will email her in the morning.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010