Co-sleeping and SIDS ?

Hey ladies
When my LO was a newborn she slept in my arms as a newborn so I really did not worry about SIDS... but now i will be having my 2nd child (due on halloween) but the difference now is that I am 100 lbs heavier .. so would it be safer to co-sleep? have newborn sleep in his crib or bassinet?
Thanks!

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 11:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• i am a firm in having babies sleep in a bassinet or crib. it is way safer and you dont have to worry. i personaly know someone who co-slept and their baby died due to it. it is not worth the risk.
    Anonymous

• I co-slept/sleep with both my kids. And will with the one on the way. I don't see SIDS to really be a big risk here. Your weight shouldn't make a difference unless if has changed your sleep habits. But if YOU would be more comfortable, why not keep a bassinet in the room? It can't hurt anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I co-sleep with my son sometimes. He's almost 9 months old. For the first few months I wouldn't do it at all because I was a bit nervous. However, I've become such a light sleeper that if he even drops his pacifier, I wake up. My husband is the same way. We have a California King sized bed, so it's huge. My son, if in our bed, sleeps between us. Neither me or my husband are overweight, do drugs, take sleeping aids, or drink alcohol. There has actually recent evidence showing that SIDS may be genetic. The risk here would be suffocation. I trust my instincts, and I feel that it's safe in my situation. I never really advise parents against or for co-sleeping, because in some instances, it could be dangerous. However, there have also been times where co-sleeping may have helped prevent SIDS. Some studies say that it helps infants regulate their breathing with the parents.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010