i just read on a post, that saline drops can cause infection in infants lungs, if breathed in. have you heard this?! my ped told me it was 100% ok to use them whenever i want

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Saline is okay, we use it on patients all the time, we use it to wash out the secretions in lungs when patients cannot remove the secretions via coughing.. I should know I'm a respiratory therapist.. Besides saline is what most of your body consists of. It is what your tears are made of. In hospitals they use it to flush fluids as well. If it was harmful the doctor would not have said it was okay.. Also, fluid in your ears is different from in your lungs. If it gets in your ears it will cause problems such as infection, and ear ackes. Your lungs are able to handle fluid in moderation. It should be fine..
    mateom

Answer by mateom at 12:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Why would you need to use saline on your infant? The baby's immune system is not fully developed so I would not want them inhaling any thing.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• she gets little hard boogers up there and i use them to soften them so i can suck them out. i asked doc about it at both appoiments and ih gave the 100% ok.
    Anonymous

• My pedi suggested it to me when my boys were congested once. I had never heard of it until she told me about it. I would talk to your pedi since your child is in his/her care and if she's comfortable with you using them, then I would say your probably fine.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I got an infection in my ears one time from saline drops for ears and I was an adult when that happened.

I'd be careful with that, after you use it once it's not sterile anymore and you can introduce bacteria.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Boogers will work themselves out (I mean, the body is pretty good at taking care of things like that). You really do not need to suck unless her airway is blocked. It's got to feel really uncomfortable for her when you do that. Once it works it way towards the very end of the nostril just pick her nose with your pinky.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2010