If you have a bedtime rule for your children, how often and under what circumstances are you willing to bend?

I have a 8 month old son and from before his birth I realized how important sleep is. Once he got used to being alive and the difference between night and day he easily fell into a routine of falling asleep between 7:30 - 8:30 pm and waking up between 6 - 7 am. Now, whenever I go to work on Saturdays I come home and my in laws and partner still have him up past 9:30. This is a once a week occurrence usually. Will this a) mess with my routine if I let it continue or b) be somehow a burden on the development of a young baby? Any thoughts? Or is it "cool" to have a once a week party night?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 12:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont see a problem developmentally with the baby, but you might not appreciate it...I know I didnt like it when my in-laws did that stuff, but then again pick your battles and if its only once a week type of thing its not bad...I think its okay.... :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• actually, it might help him in the long run. My daughter was so dependent on her night time routine and times that on a few occasions when things just didnt work out for that night, like if people were visiting or we were out and about it would screw her all up. So after those few times, I decided to mess with her routine and times about once a week and that really helped if things were off here and there for her night time routine. I hope this makes sense, I am needing to do my own night time routine and go to bed.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It won't affect your baby's sleep schedule. It's only once per week. But if you're not ok with it, talk to your in-laws partner and let them know you would like it if they put the baby to bed at his normal bedtime.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2010