What age would u nape with your child in the other room awake?

If you had to nape at what age do you this is old enuff to take care of them selves for an hour or so while watching a movie?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pretty big. I'd say 8 or 9
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• hmmm my oldest is 13 and still dont nap when she isent in school..lol... my son is 4 and i wouldnt go into another room to nap while he watched a movie. to risky.. he can open doors climb up anything and just get into trouble and god forbid something was to happen and i get a what were u doing? umm naping. now i admit when im really sick i will take my son into my room shut and lock the door and he has toys to play w/ and a tv but dont really get to nap.. just lay and rest. we hang out in bed and watch a movie. but i cant xpect him to hang out in my room all day so i do have to get up make luch and do what needs to be done. worse case.. he will go to bed at 7pm instead of 8pm. and dh is home. but sucks when u have the flu. thankfuly family and friends helped out. motherhood is tireing, but i havent naped in 13 yrs...really wish i could. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i did when my daughter was 3. she would watch tv, or a movie, and i would nap..usually i napped on the couch tho, so i was right there. This morning she woke up at 745, i heard her, so i got up, got her breakfast, and i went back to bed for an hour. i can see her perfectly clear from my bed when she in in the living room. shes 6 now, so she knows to stay outta trouble, she actually has never gotten into anything that she wasnt supposed to, in her whole life. ohh nope, wait, there was one time when i was in the shower and i got out, only to find that she had gone outside to jump on the trampoline, which is fine, she is allowed to play outside by her self, all the yard is fenced in, and we have 3 dogs that will all bark if someone comes close..however..she is NOT allowed outside if i am in the shower...this happened a couple weeks ago..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have with my 3 year old. Put on a movie, gates up blocking areas, toddlers fed dressed comfy laying next to me watching a movie while I doze a little. THis is when he used to wake up at 6am. I'd be in and out of napping until 7am. Nothing too long. He also had a content personality would sit through a whole show if it was his favorite. Had our doors with child protective things on them that he couldn't take off or open the door with.

Safety first. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• A real nap or long nap I couldn't do until my kid was 7-8
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Around 3, depending on the kid. My youngest is 4 and I take naps while she watches TV. Most of the time I can't help it. If I'm that tired I can't stay awake what else am I going to do.
    Earlier tonight I was fighting staying awake around 7pm. I couldn't even see straight so I went to lie down. Kids were no where near ready for bed so I just left them watching TV. They are 4, 7, 8 and almost 10. Woke up just before 9pm when I heard them running through our gang way (space between our house and the neighbor's). Had to get up to remind them they aren't allowed to go outside if I'm napping unless some other adult in the house was awake and knew they were outside.

But, I've taught my kids independence and stuff like that from a young age and trust them. They all know how to get their own food and drinks and my dad is always around somewhere (although I've done it when it's just me and the kids here).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• The first time I did it was by accident at age 4. I was sick and couldn't even stand so I laid on the couch. I woke up an hour later and she was still there in the floor playing with her barbies.
    Sometimes when she wakes up, she'll go pee and turn on her tv and watch while getting dressed and playing and wake me up about an hour later (I know it's an hour because she tells me she watched two shows).
    After a scare when she was 3 and went out to the swingset at my mom's house, she knows not to go out there, not to answer the door, to only answer the phone if she hears my mom's or husband's ring tone. She's only 5 now, but after handling things with more maturity than most adults I know, she has earned the right to have a few privileges like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and I have napped a few times with them in the other room...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• at age 4-5 i would take a nap with the kid there, but i am not a heavy sleeper and they know to wake me up if they need anything. they have alway been self reliant, plus they keep and eye on each other constatly
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Mine is 6 now, but I did it when she was 5. I sleep very lightly and am just down the hall. I sleep so light that if her show changes tunes (closing song, etc.) - I wake. She knows the rules and I have a chime if the door opens/closes. I think it just depends on how heavy of a sleeper you are.
    trenakay

Answer by trenakay at 9:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010