Should I let my mother come into the delivery room when I give birth ??

O.K. this is my sixth and last child and I have never let my mom come into the delivery room as she can be a little loud and controlling. I have always had my husband there for support. This year I have grown closer to my mom then I have ever been. She is actually staying at my house cooking and cleaning 6 weeks before the baby is to be here. I love her!! My question is should I let her come in and if I do what if I regret it when I am giving birth ?? Opinions any one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My midwife says this.

"If you would be comfortable, crawling around on the floor, naked as a jaybird, throwing up, passing gas and cussing like a sailor in front of this person, then it's fine to have them at the birth. Otherwise, they have no reason to be there." I would add that if she has an overall calming presence, go for it. Birth is not a spectator sport. If you are wanting her there, she needs to be there for support and encouragement and the minute she starts to take control or get bossy or overbearing she needs to leave. Have a codeword with your husband you can use so that he can tell her to leave if she starts getting on your nerves. Her presence there doesn't have to be all or nothing... it can be a "as we go along" type deal.

Congrats on the pregnancy!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• up to you. I see nothing wrong with it, as long as you feel comfortable. its your choice and no one elses. IF you dont feel comfortable, tell her to leave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My mom came in the room with me, also SO, my sister in law, my SO's mom and a bunch of student doctors along with my actual doctors and nurses. Really I think all the people distracted me from the pain. I would just do what makes you feel comfortable. Because you are never going to forget that day and you don't want it to go badly. Good Luck with the birth of your new baby!!!
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You made me lol,,I dont remember who was in the room when I was pushing. They could have had a high school band in there and I wouldnt have noticed. If your dh is the head coach, and Im sure he is, then she can stand off to the side. She doesnt need to be an assistant coach. Honestly. the only voice I heard when I was in the most pain was my dh's voice, everyone else was very far away at that point. I knew what the dr was telling me to do, but it was my dh who I was able to follow,,,good luck hon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my mom was there with me, and my sis :) it meant alot to me for my mom to be there, as i was heading into motherhood as a single mom..i needed my mommy!!! lol and she was suprisingly really great there too..i think it would mean alot to your mom, especially cuz she never has before.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• it's ALL up to you.. you're the one giving birth
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My mom almost got kicked out...lol
    I just warned her that what I say goes or she will leave, so if I need quiet BE QUIET if I need Ice GET ICE
    lol
    She's loud and is a no it all as well so she kept in check the whole time

Just set boundaries before
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• if you want!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you're comfortable with it. : )

I didn't have my mom or anyone excluding my hubby in the room when I actually started pushing. They all were there right up to before I started pushing. To me that was perfect enough.

At first it saddened my mom. When I explained how I just wasn't into the idea but still loved her etc. That she'd come right back in after. She was understanding. Still a tad sad but understood. It was a hard decision to make, because I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. Then I realized at the same time I wanted it to go the way I felt comfy. So I'm glad I went with my way instead of trying to please others.

I hope you'll go with what you want .

Good luck and congrats.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I also think when it comes to making decisions......

DEEP down we all know what we truly want. Do what you truly want.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2010