Were you laying down in bed the whole time you were in labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes I was and I will not do that ever again. Both my children were born at the hospital, first one was induced, second labor started on its own but I was given pitocin after I got there. I also had an epidural both times so I couldn't move. I watched "The Business of Being Born" today and it really opened my eyes on some things. I'm not quite ready to have a home birth next time around but I am going to look into less interventions and possibly midwives at a birthing center instead of a hospital birth.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No, I liked sitting on the toilet. I knew I was getting close to having my boys when I got the urge to sit on the toilet. I also walked and sat in the rocking chair. With my third baby I laid in the jacuzzi tub and LOVED it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Walk, Move Around, and Change Positions Throughout Labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• A pregnant woman in a Lamaze class asks about the mixed messages she has seen about birth, “In class, I see pictures of women walking, using tubs, or sitting on birth balls. But in the birth stories on TV, it seems like women spend most of their time in bed. Is being out of bed and moving around important?”
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Walking, moving around, and changing positions throughout labor make the birth of your baby easier. It is the best way for you to use gravity to help your baby move down and to increase the size and shape of your pelvis to make it easier for your baby to fit and rotate as necessary. Movement helps you respond to pain in an active way and shortens the length of the first stage of labor (Lawrence, Lewis, Hofmeyr, Dowswell, & Styles, 2009).
    Anonymous

• In contrast to what you see on popular television shows in the United States, pictures throughout history and across cultures show women in many different positions for labor. Many hospitals today provide birth balls, rocking chairs, tubs/showers, and safe places to walk in order to encourage women to stay out of bed during labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I wasn't in bed at all with my two labors, except to push or get checked. It worked so much better for me to walk, take a bath and using the birthing ball was my savior. I had both all natural labors and i think moving around so much helped that a lot :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• They tried to keep me in bed. They tried to put in a catheter but I said no. They only wanted me to lay down because my water broke. I got up and pissed. It severely pissed them off.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I laid in bed for my labor but I DO NOT recommend it. I did so because of 4 different devices I was attached to (the fetal monitors, first external and then interal, the contraction monitor, external then interal, blood pressure cuff and IV line) and because my blood pressure was supposedly too high when I was upright. But my contractions hurt HALF as bad when I would get up to go to the bathroom.

Planning a homebirth this time and don't think I'll lay down at all lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i was in the bed the whole time.. i requested an epidural and after recieving it, i couldn't move my legs worth crap
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2010