Breaking The Bottle

My daughter is 11 months and I am starting to want to break the bottle so its gone by a year. She drinks it at nap time and bed time and sometimes once more during the day not often. She does drink out out of a sippy cup, but not her milk. Any suggestions on how I can break her bottle habbit?

cantwait071909

Asked by cantwait071909 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Getting the soft tip sippy cups really help them take milk out of it because it's soft like a bottle tip. Maybe let her help you pour the milk, by holding your arm while you poor it. Including her in the process that you're doing. That makes them more likely to eat/drink items.

My son will try any food he "helps" me cook. Whether it's stirring, adding a tab of salt/seasoning, pouring, etc.

Let her pick out the NEW SPECIAL milk cup. : )

Give her a treat for using the sippy to drink milk. Like you can have a lolipop today if you drink milk out of sippy cup. : )

Just be creative, and include her in the change.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My son is 11 months also. He will not drink his formula from a sippy. He has 2 bottles a day. I plan to take away the morning one and replace it with a cup of milk, a few days later the same with the afternoon bottle, and then with the night bottle. I am trying to take away the bottle and switch to milk at the same time :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My twins are 11 months old. I plan to take away the bottle after their 1st birthday. I have 3 older kids. With my first I tried to gradually take the bottle away. That lasted a year and was torchure. With the next 2 I talked to them to prep them then took the bottle away in one day. This worked so much better for me. They adjusted well this way. My twins use a cup now and have cut back already on the bottle so I think it will be an easy transition. Good luck whatever you decide.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010