Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a child that has speech therapy in school?

My son Brandon with Down's Syndrome for the last six years has had speech at school because he is very limited verbally. He uses some sign language, but not fluently. He just graduated from fifth grade and I was looking at his IEP (Individual Educational Program). He had been receiving speech therapy three times a week. They confused me at the meeting, calling it articulation therapy. Has anyone ever heard of this? Anyway, they cut him back to only one day a week due to slow progress. Is it just me, or wouldn't you want to keep him on the three day a week due to slow progress rather than once a week? Since it is the end of the school year, I plan on asking about it the first of the next school year. What do you think I should do?


Asked by amessageofhope at 1:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 23 (17,397 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • My ds was in speech for yrs, with an IEP. I agree with the PP - it sounds like they're giving up on him. Like they've decided "well, there's only so much time and resources available to go around, this kid isn't making enough progress, so we're going to cut him loose and just go through the motions..." I am NOT saying I agree with this - just that it sounds like what they're doing.

    I would talk to his Dr about it, and INSIST that he continue getting some sort of help - like the pp said, it could be sign language, something.

    Do NOT agree! You do have a say in the IEP! Talk to his Dr about what can be done as far as this goes, and good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • It sounds like they are giving up on him. They are figuring he will never get it so, why try. Articulation therapy is slowing the word down a pronouncing it correctly, I think. My friends daughter had DS and she talks fast so, you really can't understand what she is saying. If I were you I would start back with the Sign Language. Even some adults with DS can't articulate well and knowing how to sign is really helpful. If you are able to get him speech therapy through your health insurance you could also try that. I did the private ST with my son and he did really well.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • My 12 year old with autism received speech therapy at school. Articulation therapy is where they are working on helping him learn to make the correct sounds with his mouth, it just specifies what they will be working on in therapy.
    If he is moving to middle school, I would have a huge problem with them limiting my son's speech. They wanted to do this at the end of last year (when my son graduated from 5th grade). I refused to sign the IEP if they did, simply because I thought going to middle school was a lot of change for him already and he needed to continue with the speech therapy as it was. I have heard of them limiting it due to lack of progress (my son's private OT did this for a while, gave him a "break" so to speak before continuing at one point). Definitely ask them about it at the first of the year - the new school may be more willing to give the speech therapy a try!

    Answer by missanc at 8:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • My children are with the school system for their speech. PM me and I'll give you the name of their therapist, and you can request a change in his therapy for a new therapist.

    Answer by momnstepmom at 11:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2010