Just opened a Half Way House

It is open to young moms and dads...single or couple...one parent has to be a teen
They have to be pregnant or have a baby under 2
The Maximum stay is 1 year, Each room has a private bathroom , there is only 4 rooms though:( Each room can house up to 4 people, they are pretty big, has its own MINI fridge for items they do not want shared, A cook comes in everyday and preps breakfast and Dinner, communications class is once a week, if there is a couple one must be employed or seeking employment and has 3 months before he/she is kicked out alone, baby and other parent may stay.

So I know it is a lot but I wanted to add more structure
Maybe Free Couples counseling to all of the couples (3 are couples, 1 is a single mom)

Maybe bring some parenting specialists in once a week? Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Parenting class is a good idea.

wanted to add that I think it would be a good idea to have at least one or two nights a week where every family takes turns making dinner..or groups taking turn, that way they learn how to plan and make meals, which is a must in parenting and a lot of teens don't know how to do yet.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i have always wanted to do something like this... but we simply cannot afford to buy a house/property/ or build what we need!!!!! I have thought alot about this... like offering counselors, partnering with schools to make sure these women get an education, especially teen moms( even though I am only 24... LOL) having a small library/computer room, and thinking about grants and sponsor for online schooling... I would also love to offer classes like CPR, parenting classes, cooking classes, lessons on budgeting, and what to do out in the real world... and anything else I could throw in there... I thought about things that I would need to... like a day care license to be able to watch the kids while the parents worked or went to school, so that would be one less expense to them

I hope that this helped! let me know how the process is going... Id love to be able to do something like this in my hometown!
    cerissalaine

Answer by cerissalaine at 1:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Parenting classes, definitely! Also, very important - financial planning / budgeting classes. This isn't just for people with a lot of money - it's important to learn about variable interest rates, set rates, how to set a budget for any paycheck, setting long and short term goals, etc.

Personally, I think I would make these classes mandatory - the communications classes, parenting classes, and the financial classes. Because with them, coupled with having a place to stay, etc - they are much more likely to succeed down the line.

I think I would also consider requiring that they contribute something (doesn't have to be money, and it doesn't have to be a lot) back into the home - to give a sense of ownership and investment in the program - along the lines of how Habitat for Humanity wants people to help themselves and others. (Like helping with sitting for each other, or something...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Where are you located?As we write there is a young woman desperate to finish high school one year to go but is pregnant and bf is a total jerk and mom and dad pfft.She needs a roof.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Classes should all be mandatory: parenting, nutrition, cooking, financial management

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2010