Why am I not losing weight with exercise and reasonable diet?

Nine months after having a second child I am now at 195 lbs (mostly due to high stress eating and a new desk job). One month ago I made a decision to get back into shape (my normal weight is about 135-140 and I'm 5' 4'' and 24 years old). I'm eating around 1200 calories a day (mostly protein, some carbs, and trying to get in more fruits and veggies). I cut out all soda and drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I exercise for an hour a day, 6 days a week. 2 days are a full body weight lifting class and 4 days are cardio, keeping at about 140-145 BPM.

I know I could have an even better diet but I'm trying to make reasonable changes to my diet that will last (no fads or starving). Yet even with a diet that's probably half the calories and crap as before and exercising more then I've ever done... one month later, I haven't lost one pound! I gained 2 pounds during the second week and then lost them. What am I doing wrong?

Shanin22

Asked by Shanin22 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i dont think you are doing anything wrong. it doesnt seem that way anyway. little things like just because you are eating fruits doesnt mean you can eat a lot of fruits and lose wieght. it helps if meals were planned 3-4 hours in between and that when you do eat...your meals are little. if your already doing this then im not entirely sure since you havent hit 30 yet. Dont eat eggs all day just because they are healthy also. one egg a day should do it.

remember that some fruits arent the greatest in sugar thats why they are not good in low carb diets
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Hmmm... Well, i noticed you said you cut out sodas. What about other sugars? I always am surprised at how cutting out all sugar affects my weight. I mean, I'd keep the fruits (minus maybe bananas cause they are really high in sugar), but no refined sugar... Also, not eating after say, 7 at night helps too. I know when I get in the habit of eating later in the evening I tend to gain weight also...

Oh, and good idea not to do any starviation/deprivation style diets. Starving yourself just messes up your metabolism, and the really hard fad diets ("no meat, dairy, carbs of any kind") I find nearly impossible to stick to.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I had heard from a few nurses that when you start an exercise routine, that it is common to gain weight before loosing weight due to muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat. I have also been told that looking at your clothing size is a far better indicator of how you are doing than weight. Another thing I have heard is to up your fiber intake.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician.

My suspicion is that your body is not processing meat or dairy very well.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You are not eating enough and your body is in starvation mode... I calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate- # of cals your body needs to survive w/o being active and it is 1691- that is your starvation mode #...you cannot eat less than that or your body will begin to burn muscle instead of fat. Your daily caloric needs- # of cals you need and be active is 2621....to lose 1 lbs per week decrease that number by 500 cals...or about 2000-2100 calories per day.
    One pound of fat has 3500 cals to it, so you have to burn an extra 3500 cals to lose 1 lb. Track your calories, weigh out your food, and exercise at least 5 days a week. Cardio and weight training will help you drop weight.
    Everytime I've hit a plateau, if I add more calories for a couple of days, I immediately break through and begin to lose again.
    If you have any questions, pm me.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:41 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you are really working out that much you are not eating nearly enough calories. 1200 is very, very low for the excercise you are doing. My hunch is that you are depriving your body of certain nutrients it needs by not eating enough and you aren't burning off fat. You can't starve yourself to loose weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Have you been measuring yourself to check for inches lost? As you increase muscle mass and burn fat...sometimes the numbers on the scale don't change, because muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of cement...a pound is a pound is a pound. Scrap the scale for a while and keep doing what you're doing . . . with all that working out, you're no doubt increasing your muscle mass and burning fat.

Use a cloth tape measure to check for changes..in your clothes, how you look and how you feel!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You are not eating enough. You should be eating at the very least 1500 calories per day. You are not giving your body the energy it needs to keep it going. When you don't eat enough, your body goes into "starvation mode", and it will make you tired and sluggish, in order to preserve as much energy as possible (since it's not getting enough from food/nutrients).

If you are exercising, you should be eating a bit more.

Here's a website where you can figure out how many calories your body needs:

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2010